Benefit for a 2nd drill press?

Brilliant! I could have used that idea summer 2020. I was making a greenhouse for Mrs. Imagineer and was using extruded aluminum store front for the framing. In the course of fabricating, I needed to drill controlled depth holes down the length of long (12') different shaped extrusions.

To facilitate the idea, I ended up locating the drill press next to a motorcycle lift table and adjusted the height of the table to keep the extrusion even with and level to the drill press table.

Attachments

• greenhouse at night.jpg
    greenhouse at night.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 84
I am not convinced even one drill press is needed, if you have a good mill. I only rarely use my Powermatic 2800B drill press, mainly when there’s a setup on the mill I don’t want messed up. or for some rough woodworking project.

I bought a vintage knee mill, primarily because I needed a metal capable drill press.
Then I came across a good drill press and bought that.
I still use the mill for all the things a drill won't do but guess which machine gets the most use.
The drill is quicker and easier to use and has a larger table too.

This is probably an odd question, but what would be a benefit of having a 2nd drill press?

I already have a Dayton 10” drill press in my workshop. It’s 27 years old, but still works fine.

Among the tools obtained from my father’s small machine shop is an approximate 50 year-old Chicago brand drill press. Same basic size as my existing one, but with a 3” column vs the 4” column on the Dayton. I remember using this drill press when I was just a kid. Despite it’s age, it still runs well and is quiet.

I suppose for nostalgia reasons, I’m not interested in selling it or giving it away. I bought a new drill press for my son a while ago, so he doesn’t need this one. For the time being, it’s just oiled and tucked away in a corner.

Whereas I really don’t have the space for a 2nd drill press (my workshop is a bit tight), if there’s a benefit, I’m not thinking of, for having a 2nd drill press, I’ll get creative and make a spot for it.
If you have to ask. You have no use for a second.

This is probably an odd question, but what would be a benefit of having a 2nd drill press

after reading most of the posts, I looked around me in my small heated shop and counted three bench drill presses. then I pictured my lower three section shop and counted two floor drill presses--one for wood and one for metal. in another section is an old walker-turner 'driver line' press.---so that is six so far.
in my shop in Lanesboro 40 miles south east--I have a large clausing variable speed drill press---a small bench drill press--and a walker turner light heavyweight drill press in the middle of restoration.
so now that is nine so far plus a mill/drill---I am 79 now so my memory takes a while to picture all my equiptment and stuff. I just remember one more bench drill press in my small engine shed so ten drill presses unless I rememder more.
I can't even imagine having all my thousands of drill bits situated around only one drill press, so now you know one benefit answer.
***you know what you did!!!----now all day I'm going to be thinking and counting to see if I actually have more than ten, and hoping some member doesn't ask for a proof picture of each of them.
Dave

I won't tell how many drill presses I have, but lets just say it's a bit north of 10......
Some of them are very old, restored antiques, others are in the "queue", but 3 or 4 are actually in somewhat regular use :~)

This is probably an odd question, but what would be a benefit of having a 2nd drill press?

I already have a Dayton 10” drill press in my workshop. It’s 27 years old, but still works fine.

Among the tools obtained from my father’s small machine shop is an approximate 50 year-old Chicago brand drill press. Same basic size as my existing one, but with a 3” column vs the 4” column on the Dayton. I remember using this drill press when I was just a kid. Despite it’s age, it still runs well and is quiet.

I suppose for nostalgia reasons, I’m not interested in selling it or giving it away. I bought a new drill press for my son a while ago, so he doesn’t need this one. For the time being, it’s just oiled and tucked away in a corner.

Whereas I really don’t have the space for a 2nd drill press (my workshop is a bit tight), if there’s a benefit, I’m not thinking of, for having a 2nd drill press, I’ll get creative and make a spot for it.

If you have to ask, then you have no use, and you'll never use it.

On the other hand, if you stuff it in a corner, out of the way, while you make up your mind, with a countersink bit in it, and the table set at just about the maximum quill travel.... I bet you'll never use it fifteen times a day. And as long as you keep convincing yourself that you're cheating in a free second op, you won't even cry about having to dig your way into that corner every time you never use it. That's a good thing, because the instant you admit that you're actually using it, you'll have to dedicate real floor space.

I have one drill press, it is an old, well I don't know what brand.
See it has a about a 2 ft by 1 1/2 ft cast-iron base and about a 16 x 18 cast-iron table...so pulled the head off and put it under a bench.
What I have now is a great work station. I can bolt a vice to it or clamp the part right on it.
Work on an assembly.
Place my parts wash bucket on it.
Hang objects off the side

I use the mill for drilling, the drill press is where I hang my coat on.

Back