Besides tools and equipment , what do we all collect ?

Film cameras and everything that goes with. I think they multiply when I'm not looking. I was given my first camera over 50 years ago and in all this time I've bought a grand total of 3 cameras. Somehow there's around 4 dozen here now.

The thing about vinyl vs CD was that in vinyl did not clip their sound. The sound was realistic, with CD's the timing was more for BASS, and the music was enhanced toward the bass side, and the range was shortened, or compressed. So we hear more range on vinyl because there was no enhancement done, the range is the full range, without messing with it.

Our good friends son when he was about 17 got into the vinyl craze, back in 95 maybe... He was going to all the old vinyl music stores buying what he could afford, he bought 2 turntables (difficult back then) . I still have a few cases left of vinyl, I need a new needle.

But he kept telling me the sound was so much better on vinyl, He didn't explain it ... but I did find out what he was talking about.
Would love to crank up some HOT Tuna, some Dead, Allman Bros, Edgar Winter, Bonnie Rait, to name a afew.. I have a good memory of what I had, not clear on what I saved..

Carver, Denon, MacIntosh, Nakamichi, Bang and Olfusen were all cream of the crop, when I saw Denon and Nakamichi being sold at a Ckt City, or Best Buy, but not in their high end room, I was baffled.. How could they have fallen... Also, Onkyo...

anyway if you read to this why.... why listen to a man spewing his old memories.

There are those who prefer the old tube stereos.. and if you compare the two, there is an amazing difference.. Having been schooled by a friends , friend, He showed me old tube high end , compared to a high end 80s or 90s unit.

There's a sound that comes out of the tube system that is so sweet and full.. much more than a transistor or chip system.
Yes, most mainstream music today is heavily compressed and does not have the fidelity of older recordings. Mainly due to the decline in demand for quality audio reproduction. Today the average person listens to music through earbuds or little bluetooth speakers with class D amplifiers that cannot produce the full dynamic range of the audio spectrum, trading convenience for quality. Todays music is designed to be played on these inferior devices, Thus many people today don't even know what quality audio can sound like. If the music is crappy to begin with, paying it on better equipment won't make much of a difference anyway.

However, CD's & digital music can have excellent sound. It depends on the quality of the original recording, the audio engineering used to master the file and the gear used to play it back. On a good system digital can sound almost as good a vinyl, almost.

Film cameras and everything that goes with.
My daughter is just now getting into film , she got some kind of a scanner from Santa this year . I haven't a clue so I guess I'll be learning something new in the near future . :big grin:

My daughter is just now getting into film , she got some kind of a scanner from Santa this year . I haven't a clue so I guess I'll be learning something new in the near future . :big grin:
Affordable in home scanners have been a real game changer for film photography. Developing black and white film doesn't require a big investment in equipment, chemicals or space. Being able to then scan the negatives is a big short cut versus having a darkroom with an enlarger.

Fishing stuff and tool boxes. I have 6 fishing rods and a seventh on the way. I have 8 (machinists) tool boxes 4 Kennedy’s 3 Gerstner's and 1 union. Although my favorite thing to collect is oversized, tiny and cool looking tools like a 1 7/8 bolt and nut, a little vise with a little anvil, a big drill bit from the early 1900s but my favorite is my starrett 127 micrometer.

Film cameras and everything that goes with. I think they multiply when I'm not looking. I was given my first camera over 50 years ago and in all this time I've bought a grand total of 3 cameras. Somehow there's around 4 dozen here now.
My first camera was a pinhole camera. Fun to play with. I ran a lot of 35mm film through my Minolta, which I still have. I also have a Yashika twin-lens reflex and a Durst enlarger with a set of variable-contrast filters. Ah, the smell of fixer, hard to forget. And that musky smell of developer.

Many, many years after that pinhole camera I turned my DSLR into a pinhole camera by drilling a hole in the cap that covered the camera body's lens mount, glued a piece of aluminum foil over the hole and poked a tiny hole in the middle of it. Also fun to play with.

No, I didn't drill the hole while the cover was installed on the body :)

I don't really set out to collect much of anything, just don't get rid of what I've got. Still, it seems to add up.....

I also like cameras. I got rid of all the film stuff (B&W and color cameras and all the darkroom equipment) years ago but now play with digital , usb. and IP cameras. Keep an eye on the chickens, the driveway, the weather outside during dark hours. Also like closeup and microscope cameras. Just got a handheld standalone microscope to keep in the shop for checking tools, reading fine
print etc. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09C5JTTTM?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

DSCF4903.JPG

Tools that feel sharp are really less so when examined closely.
Thanks
Aaron
WIN_20200223_06_33_50_Pro.jpg

I am attempting to collect years, as many as I can get. And stack them on top of each other. Along with the aches and pains that go with them. Not collecting hair anymore, it won’t stick.:)

Chuck

I am attempting to collect years, as many as I can get. And stack them on top of each other. Along with the aches and pains that go with them. Not collecting hair anymore, it won’t stick.:)

Chuck
I second that ... all of it.

Besides collecting projects...

1:32 scale slot cars
1:43 scale cars
All the cars from the Pixar movie Cars...
The book series for Gabriel Allon - from the writer Daniel Silva... even if I have them on my e-reader, I like having the hardcover...
Oh and dust... I collect a lot of dust...

Back