Besides tools and equipment , what do we all collect ?

The thing about vinyl vs CD was that in vinyl did not clip their sound. The sound was realistic, with CD's the timing was more for BASS, and the music was enhanced toward the bass side, and the range was shortened, or compressed. So we hear more range on vinyl because there was no enhancement done, the range is the full range, without messing with it.

Our good friends son when he was about 17 got into the vinyl craze, back in 95 maybe... He was going to all the old vinyl music stores buying what he could afford, he bought 2 turntables (difficult back then) . I still have a few cases left of vinyl, I need a new needle.

But he kept telling me the sound was so much better on vinyl, He didn't explain it ... but I did find out what he was talking about.
Would love to crank up some HOT Tuna, some Dead, Allman Bros, Edgar Winter, Bonnie Rait, to name a afew.. I have a good memory of what I had, not clear on what I saved..

Carver, Denon, MacIntosh, Nakamichi, Bang and Olfusen were all cream of the crop, when I saw Denon and Nakamichi being sold at a Ckt City, or Best Buy, but not in their high end room, I was baffled.. How could they have fallen... Also, Onkyo...

anyway if you read to this why.... why listen to a man spewing his old memories.

There are those who prefer the old tube stereos.. and if you compare the two, there is an amazing difference.. Having been schooled by a friends , friend, He showed me old tube high end , compared to a high end 80s or 90s unit.

There's a sound that comes out of the tube system that is so sweet and full.. much more than a transistor or chip system.
I designed and built solid-state pre-amps and power amplifiers back in the 70's for my own pleasure. My friends and I discovered a lot of those things that are now commonly-known, like: ceramic capacitors in the signal path really do sound like ****. Some (but not all) of the other audio fads that followed were much harder to swallow, but, ears do get older...so who knows. But, truthfully, I don't think that the grade of conductor makes any difference. Now, the dielectric between that conductor and ground, well, that could play a part.

I still have a pretty nice turntable and black widow tonearm, and some vinyl I just can't part with.

Lets see, 9 cars, 6 pickup's, 2 box trucks, 1 bucket truck, 1 tandem dump truck, 1 grain truck, 1 backhoe, 140ton track hoe, 5 motorcycles, 1 ATV, 2 trailers, 4 tractors, 2 zero turn mowers, 1 combine, and a partridge in a pear tree. That's just rolling stock. I may have a problem. No, on second thought, I'm fine. Mike
Lol. You are the President of the Rolling Stock Club.

Which brings me to the question . I have my old very high end Carver audio system from the mid eighties . The amp , pre amp and tuner all are working fine after 30 years of no-use . The CD player , which has a special function ( no longer available on newer units ) is not working , it hasn't for years . I spent 3 hours this morning investigating a company/person or anyone who was certified to repair this vintage piece. I believe I found a website and joined it this morning and will be asking for help on the matter . The system is not complete without the cd player and I'm not a fan of this new technology stuff . Figuring 1000s of cds and vinyls , I feel it's worth the $$$$$$ to get the right person to repair it . I may be out of my mind , but , we all have crazy hobbies .
I used to collect vintage audio gear as well, though I've sold most of it off as I replaced it with stuff I've built myself. From what I remember, the older CD players don't have much collector value as the technology has significantly improved since the 80's, thus even average CD players now can sound better than the best older ones. The Digital Analog converters in early CD players tended to sound harsh, thus the special filters to "make it sound like vinyl". As DA technology improved there was less need for the additional circuits. Another problem is old CD transport parts are virtually impossible to find.
However, Vintage amps, pre amps, turntables and even speakers are in demand and can indeed sound better than most of the average gear being sold today. Value depends a lot on reputation, lore and legend, which is the engine that drives the audiophile world.
You might want to check the electrolytic capacitors in the amp as these can lose their rated value over time and can affect sound quality especially bass response or induce hum. Fortunately, they are usually easy to replace.

Thanks for the info @Eddyde . I'm currently reading about all that you posted on the above website . I'm going to move forward and throw the $$$$$ at this system . Get all the upgrades available and keep this going . I've always enjoyed my music , although the ears aren't what they once were , my neighbors might appreciate the music . ( if you know what I mean ) . :grin:

Back