Best topic for cleaning, adjusting chucks?

If jaws bind when everything is clean I’d suspect burrs or deformation of the slots or jaws.
Not an uncommon condition to find on used chucks. My little 5” buck I use for rotab and holding round stock in vertical mill was very tight when I first got it. Did the dreaded teardown similar to the OP’s procedure and now its nice and smooth although one weird thing is two of the 12 screws holding it together can only be snug not tight. If I tighten them two down things get bindy. Need to get it taken apart again to find the issue.

33f5d8b82be28eeb26affd2e44aea367.jpg

As far as the WS2 I forget where I bought it but google you can find it many places. Heres one I just picked the first to come up
$50 is a lifetime supply. Im sure there’s smaller qty available somewhere.

How do apply that WS2 powder? Do you just use a brush or something & dab it on? Not that I want to buy any, just curious. EDIT: N/M I should have read the whole page in your link.

I've always used Vactra #4 on the scrolls for my chucks & grease only in the back for the pinions. I just wrap a towel around the chuck body after applying a light coat then spin for a while to fling out excess. Has been working fine for me.

I have tried spray on dry moly but felt like it wasn't really doing anything & I didn't like the black/dark color.

Nalgene squeeze bottle and an acid brush or sometimes just my chip brush.
X2 on wiping the outside of the chuck down with vactra way oil every time I clean up after a job.
6b8c8bac7eb169c579cbdec7164a1fbc.jpg

Had to swap jaws today doing the usual brushing out of any chips chips in scroll and dusting with WS2 to keep that nice honeymoon fit.
Slip no slop
96d4356c226ec1fef14a2615ec9d3cbb.jpg
abf531a9f16bb9a4c8910055429380e6.jpg

As the OP here, I'm entitled to a status report. A few weeks ago I disassembled, degunked, and reassembled the 5" 3J that came with my lathe but which I had never before used, opened, or cleaned. Reassembled with a light oiling and it clattered a bit. Got Superlube.
Today, after being delayed with getting a bunch of new inventory online in my store and dealing with COVID planning at my day job, I finally got the chance to reassemble with grease on the scroll and pinions and way oil rubbed lightly elsewhere. It runs perfectly smoothly, and runout is <.001 3" from the chuck surface. Thanks to all of you for the patient advice!

Tim

Back