Best topic for cleaning, adjusting chucks?

I tend to use it anywhere I need grease. Works good, doesn't harden and non-toxic (food safe). I even use it to grease O-rings and seals.

I don’t use grease except in the “sealed” area behind where the pinions drive the bevel gear opposite the scroll face. The scroll face itself, jaws and jaw slots stay dry. Yep. I run the jaws out when swapping from OD to ID sets and any chips that get in there brush out nicely everything stays clean no crunchies. IMO Oil and grease just make a huge mess and cause fine swarf to stick. I occasionally butter the slots with WS2 tungsten disulfide dry lube powder (think graphite but slippery-er)
It’s inexpensive and very effective. No mess and no chuck disassembly degreasing projects.

What brand of chuck are you using? If I did that with one of my chucks the jaws would bind.

I would suspect that is why some chuck manufacturers recommend only using a specific pinion for final tightening and why some individuals recommend a final tightening at all three positions. I would also suspect that better surface finish is one of the reasons why the name brand chucks happen to have better runout specs.

I wonder if this is why my chuck has an arrow pointing toward one pinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On better quality pinion-driven chucks that have an accuracy spec, the factory will almost always mark the pinion that produces that run out. The user is expected to use that pinion, and that pinion only, to tighten the chuck or run out may be exceeded.

Buck and Pratt Burnerd.

Hmmm ... maybe I'll give that a try then. I own Rohm, Yuasa and PB chucks and the jaws are all still nice and tight. To be fair, I will give this a try the next time I have one apart.

Since we are on the subject, I have the Buck adjustable 3 jaw, and the generic that came with the PM 1228. Should the Buck see limited use on special projects, and put the PM chuck back on for daily chores?

Since we are on the subject, I have the Buck adjustable 3 jaw, and the generic that came with the PM 1228. Should the Buck see limited use on special projects, and put the PM chuck back on for daily chores?

Me personally I would do the other way around. My Bison Set-Tru chucks will probably out live me so the 6-jaw & 3-jaw are my primary use chucks. The 3-jaw that came with my PM1236 I turned into a Tap-Tru & realy only use it for dirty jobs like sanding & polishing, things where I don't care that much if all that crap gets into the chuck. Chucks can act like fans & suck all that dust in.

Back