Biax gouges

Lucas, a coincidence happened today I heard from J & S Machine and they want me to come down and train 2 of their new hires and If you can come over , I'll give you the business (slang for teaching).. They usually only have me teach a 3 day class and then do some maintenance. I told them I'll come after my May 14 to 18 class, around May 24th as his guys work M-F. He's in Nowata OK about 15 miles east of Bartlesville. There is a Ma Pa motel there that is pretty cheap too. or some nice ones in Bville.

Lucas, a coincidence happened today I heard from J & S Machine and they want me to come down and train 2 of their new hires and If you can come over , I'll give you the business (slang for teaching).. They usually only have me teach a 3 day class and then do some maintenance. I told them I'll come after my May 14 to 18 class, around May 24th as his guys work M-F. He's in Nowata OK about 15 miles east of Bartlesville. There is a Ma Pa motel there that is pretty cheap too. or some nice ones in Bville.
That is a coincidence. I'm going to be in california for a funeral May 22nd through may 30th. But if you happen to delay your trip till after I return I should be able to make it. Let me know, I'll send you my contact info through private message.

I plan on being down there for 2 weeks, maybe we can do it something after you get back. Come over for a day or 2 and do some one on one. I also have a former student who's taken 2 classes and I am positive he could show you too. PM your email and I'll tell him. I ask my students to teach too. He is a really good scraper too. Rich

Rick King's comment is spot on but tha gouges are one problem, it looks to me as you are scratching not cutting, work slower, speed of the Biax should match your ability to move it side to side with control causing your cuts to be spaced, that is a cut then space of almost equal width, like when you hand scrape.

That is a coincidence. I'm going to be in california for a funeral May 22nd through may 30th. But if you happen to delay your trip till after I return I should be able to make it. Let me know, I'll send you my contact info through private message.
I won't be going this trip as he doesn't want a class this time. One of my students from Austin Texas is going to go do some maintenance and run some machines. I'm going fishing and preparing for my class I'm teaching up here in a couple of weeks.

Rick King's comment is spot on but tha gouges are one problem, it looks to me as you are scratching not cutting, work slower, speed of the Biax should match your ability to move it side to side with control causing your cuts to be spaced, that is a cut then space of almost equal width, like when you hand scrape.
I believe a lot of that scratching was because of metal chips building up on the edge of the blade. I've since got my demagnatizer delivered and they look much smoother.

Attachments

• PXL_20210420_201025156.jpg
    PXL_20210420_201025156.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 29
I hate to spoil it for you, but those vertical scratched are corner scratches. If they were from chip build-up you would only see small narrow scratches in the scrape marks or low spots.
1618951631271.png

I hate to spoil it for you, but those vertical scratched are corner scratches. If they were from chip build-up you would only see small narrow scratches in the scrape marks or low spots.
View attachment 363258
Right, I was talking about the roughness in each cut. I don't doubt that the gouges are from the blade corners. The non gouging cuts are smoother now since the demagnatizer. Less scratching and more cutting.

I was looking at the scraping on my starrett 199 level and comparing. It looks like they made a wide spaced final pass for an even pattern. Do you think it looked all random like my latest picture before they did the final pass? Also, do you think it was done by hand? I see a little bit of a swoop at the end of the cuts which I haven't seen come from a biax cut.

Attachments

• PXL_20210421_141614519.jpg
    PXL_20210421_141614519.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Back