Biggest fish you've ever caught.

My biggest was an 8 foot Tiger shark. Took over 45 minutes to land and my arms were so dead that I couldn't scratch my nose for 2 hours afterwards, even if my life depended on it.

My biggest Ulua (Giant Trevally) that I landed was 88# but I cut one off at my feet that was over 5 feet long; estimated at about 130#. Mind you, this kind of fishing is done from a cliff and the fish invariably hit at night or very early morning. My 88# was taken at 3am from a 45 foot high cliff, waves splashing overhead and a 35 mph wind at my back.

I've caught many smaller ones but they were not as memorable.

735# 11' chin to tail Blue Marlin, for YF tuna 249# ....you asked :)
You will remember that fish forever Peyton. :encourage:
I forgot to add I fished solo on my boat.......

Last edited:
Marlin off Altata Mexico on my way from Mazatlan to Puerto Escondito. I was hoping for a dorado and had been catching nothing but skipjack all morning. A starving cat won't eat a skipjack. Was listening to the morning weather report on the SSB when the line went zing. Another skipjack so I tighten the drag and let it skip along surface. Before I could get back to the weather report a marlin grabbed the skipjack and was hooked. Off to the races. Stopped the boat and 45 minutes later I had the marlin along side my sailboat. No way to get it out of the water for a picture so I tied the 200lb test line to a stern cleat. Got my picture.

P4270063.JPG

Skipjack, you don't know what your missing. Aku poke, dried Aku strips, and adult beverages :drool: :grin:
Wavey back tuna is below that though....

27lb Northern Pike, 45 minute fight
Boy, those Northern Pikes caused a hell of a mess up in Lake Davis.
Lake Davis is a mountain lake near Portola CA. (great working train museum there)

The Fish and Game poisoned the lake in an effort to rid the lake of Northern Pike.
It seems they eat all the rest of the fishes.

I'm not sure how healthy the lake is now??
Lots of complaints from residents, visitors, health dept. Forrest service......

Skipjack, you don't know what your missing. Aku poke, dried Aku strips, and adult beverages :drool: :grin:
Wavey back tuna is below that though....
For those wondering what Aku is.
Aku, is Skip-Jack Tuna,
Ahi, is Yellow fin tuna.
I have caught plenty of Yellow fin. never caught a Marlin though!!
My wife and I love the Sea of Cortez for it's beauty, abundant sea life, warm water and the rest and relaxation that comes with it. Oh, and the Cerveza ain't bad :)
We go to Loretto every chance we get. Usually about every two years or so.

Did I get it right Aukai??

Back