Blocked oil passage to spindle bearing in lathe headstock

python50

Registered
Registered
Hello, I have a Grizzly G4000 bench-top lathe (300lb 9"x19"). The ball oilier for the spindle bearing closest to the chuck has failed. The ball from the ball oiler dropped straight down into the oil passage. This made it difficult to add oil. I decided to remove the brass (press fit) ball oiler casing from the headstock using a tap - to get a better view of the blockage. After removal I still could see the ball bearing but could not remove it. The use of a tap turned out to be a bad idea because chips/debris ended up going down the oil passage making the blockage worse.

The ball bearing is about 1/8" in diameter and sits at the bottom of a 9/64"x2.5" hole. The ball and the machining debris seem to be resting on the outer casing of the spindle bearing - blocking the free flow of oil.

Currently I can only add oil by forcing it in at high pressure using a plastic oral syringe (one application ruins the syringe). I am looking for ideas on how to remove the blockage. I would like to avoid removing the headstock - but I fear that removal is the only practical solution. I wish I could turn the lathe upside down, I supect it the bearing would fall out, but that is beyond my capabilities.

I have tried using a magnet and seal pick to remove the oiler ball bearing. I have also tried using spray brake cleaner to clear the debris out of blockage. Both methods have been unsuccessful.

-Jason White

Updated at 7/14/18 5:10pm: added note that ball bearing is visible.
Updated at 7/14/18 5:25pm: added lathe dimensions

Last edited:
How big is this lathe Jason? Could you not slide the headstock end off the edge of the table and remove it, then reinstall after you fish the ball out?
mark

It is a 300lb 9"x19" lathe. I could remove the headstock (I think) and it would be manageable. But I am worried that I will upset the alignment of the machine by removal and installation of the head-stock.

Do I have any other choice?

Shop Vac? Get a small piece of tubing that will fit down the hole. Stick the other end in the shop vac hose and duct tape in place.
drop the tubing down the hole and turn on the vac. If you are lucky you will have a suction cup that pulls the ball out of the hole.

Have you tested this lathe to see if it perhaps cuts a slight taper? If so this would be the perfect time to try to correct that

Shop Vac? Get a small piece of tubing that will fit down the hole. Stick the other end in the shop vac hose and duct tape in place.
drop the tubing down the hole and turn on the vac. If you are lucky you will have a suction cup that pulls the ball out of the hole.
I just tried the shop vac method. No cigar. The small silicone tubing I used which was the correct size triggered the bypass of the vacuum.

Get some thick grease and a small rod and see it the brg will stick to it

I think that the suction idea is still valid. You might need to find a better suction device like a true vacuum pump

Back to the vacuum, take an oral syringe and install a piece of tubing on it. Collapse the syringe and insert the tubing, pull on the syringe to create the vacuum and try that.

Back