Blohm Simplex Surface Grinder Q's

I have made spanners using dowel pins pressed in. If they work lose we just tack them with tig from the back.

I've made spanners for differential work. A light press fit, and weld from the back side works pretty well. As suggested I would re-drill the holes in the flange for a tight fit. After making the first spanner the second one will be easier, or grind the pins off and re-drill for the original size of the new part. Would like to see some pics of the machine if you get a chance. Mike

A normal press fit would be to make hole 0.025 mm smaller than the pin in this size range. You could go maybe 0.050mm undersize on the hole. Smaller than that I think the the pin won't fit well.

Nice job on the spanner. :encourage:
Ok, Sir
Will do
Thanks a stack
And take care
aRM

I have made spanners using dowel pins pressed in. If they work lose we just tack them with tig from the back.
Thank U KD
Now that's an even better idea as well to remember
Much appreciated
aRM

004.JPG 004.JPG
I've made spanners for differential work. A light press fit, and weld from the back side works pretty well. As suggested I would re-drill the holes in the flange for a tight fit. After making the first spanner the second one will be easier, or grind the pins off and re-drill for the original size of the new part. Would like to see some pics of the machine if you get a chance. Mike
Hello MIKE
Thanks for the info
Much appreciated
Heck man, this is a big machine and 'twas not easy getting pics. And worse trying to load them all in good sequence, as U can see !!!
Anyway here goes ............ 009.JPG 030.JPG 039.JPG 088.JPG 091.JPG 092.JPG 100.JPG 109.JPG

Last edited:
That is a nice looking grinder! :encourage: The same size as my DoAll. Never seen one with a 2 speed motor before, the slower speed would be great for sharpening HHS wood cutting blades.

I agree with the other writers, that has to be left-hand thread otherwise it could come unscrewed when your back is turned. When you get it off and cleaned up/refaced mark it either with a arrow or stamp "L.H" on the outer face. Take your time to clean and repair the stops. Double check to see if there are stops under the table to control travel in and out. Some grinders do, some are fixed for the maximum travel. Looks like a nice grinder.

Get some paper wheel blotters/spacers to go between the grinding wheel and metal shoulders. We were thought to always use new papers each time we changed the wheel. Always ring each wheel before mounting it. The easiest is put your fingure through the hole and take a medium size screw driver using the handle tap the wheel. It you hear a faint ringing sound then the wheel is safe to use. There are no internal cracks. At least that was what we were taught.

That is a nice looking grinder! :encourage: The same size as my DoAll. Never seen one with a 2 speed motor before, the slower speed would be great for sharpening HHS wood cutting blades.
Thanks JIM
Well, they do only recommend the slower speed for the 2" Wheel it's mounted with.
Guess we will need a little more experience to tackle those HSS wood cutting blades.
Should make quick work of our smallish Knife flats for now.
Take care
aRM

I agree with the other writers, that has to be left-hand thread otherwise it could come unscrewed when your back is turned. When you get it off and cleaned up/refaced mark it either with a arrow or stamp "L.H" on the outer face. Take your time to clean and repair the stops. Double check to see if there are stops under the table to control travel in and out. Some grinders do, some are fixed for the maximum travel. Looks like a nice grinder.

Get some paper wheel blotters/spacers to go between the grinding wheel and metal shoulders. We were thought to always use new papers each time we changed the wheel. Always ring each wheel before mounting it. The easiest is put your finger through the hole and take a medium size screw driver using the handle tap the wheel. It you hear a faint ringing sound then the wheel is safe to use. There are no internal cracks. At least that was what we were taught.
Hello BILL
Thanks for all the pertinent advices.
Much appreciated and most encouraging.
Experience is indeed the best teacher. And U are not far from what we have read as well.
Gave up using BLOTTERS this end of the world ages ago !!! Will have to make a concerted effort to trace some here and use them as U have recommended
Need much elbow grease here with a little more thought on our efforts.
LORD BLESS
aRM

Back