• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

Boice-Crane model 2309 14" vertical bandsaw

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Technical Ted

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I've got a 17" vertical bandsaw for wood, but I've been wanting one that would run slow enough for metal as well. I just brought home a Boice-Crane model 2309 floor mount 8-speed bandsaw. It has a 4 step pulley with a 2 speed gearbox. Blade FPM 92-4100. Blade size 3/16"-3/4". Runs nice and quite. Tires, bearings, etc. look in great shape. I never heard of this brand before but it appears to be a very good construction. Made in Ohio in 1955.

I paid $400 for it... Is that a fair price or is it on the high end?

Thanks for the input,
Ted

Dabbler

Administrator Trainee
Staff member
You got a great saw with good capacity at a low end price - assuming the bearings and guides are all in good shape. A new saw of similar capability would set you back at least 3-4 times what you paid. 10 times for a premium saw.

mikey

Active User
Boice Crane made light industrial stuff - very good quality. I have a 6" BC jointer that I think well of.

dlane

Active User
Pic's

Dabbler

Administrator Trainee
Staff member
yeah - pictures, please!

dlane

Active User
Looks like a good one, interesting top blade guide bearing adjuster,
Yesterday I put a chip brush under table on my Doall to keep most chips away from tire.

mzayd3

Active User
Registered
I'd say that you did well. They are well made, but I think the blade size isn't a standard one. That's no big deal though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Technical Ted

I'd say that you did well. They are well made, but I think the blade size isn't a standard one. That's no big deal though

Yes, it does appear to not be that common. It's 98" (8'-2").

Where's a good place to buy blades? I used to buy from Enco when they had some of those great sales with free shipping:cry:. Man, I miss those! MSC's prices are not as good, but they do have good selection. I most likely will stick with carbon steel blades. I know they don't last as long, but if you hit something hard and ruin one I'd rather lose a $25 blade than a $50 dollar one!

Ted

mzayd3

Active User
Registered
I don't really know. I think Mcmaster makes them to length, otherwise I'd look locally to a blade and sharpening shop.

dlane

Active User
Mine are 114" several places make them to size , I use bimetal 10-14 tpi
I think I got mine from 'custom blades online' bimetal vari pitch is the way to go'
Not much will stop them
Google band saw blades ,

mikey

Active User
Nice machine, Ted. Yours is way beefier than the more modern machines - very nice!

Dabbler

Administrator Trainee
Staff member
Most cities have a custom blade maker that will be in any quality you like. Shop local if you can so problems are easier to resolve.

Technical Ted

mikey

Active User

dlane

Active User
^ x2

Bimetal May cost more but they are worth the cost my blade is still going strong after a year now , cutting anything a file will

Last edited:
[6]
[5] [7]