Bolts tightening

Marco Bernardini

Active User
Registered
What happens when bolts are not tight enough?

[video=youtube;3QgXQ39aL5I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QgXQ39aL5I[/video]

It's a Brazilian copter… do you think the maintenance crew was distracted by a soccer match while reassembling it? :biggrin:

Looks like they got it into ground resonance and it just beat itself to death. I've seen it happen before, not always with everyone walking away tho.

I think you're right, Marco. Loose bolts or something broken. At the onset, the main rotors were barely turning and it was shaking like crazy and I'm guessing some part of the drive assembly came loose from the turbine engine and was whipping-around. The tail rotor was apparently spinning normally the whole time which means the turbine engine was operating but, the main prop was constantly varying it's speed.

Anyhow, it's just another data point that convinces me helicopters (and most other forms of flying) pretty much suck...

Ray

Man...it almost looked like somebody put 50lbs of concrete in one of the rotors to throw it off balance. That's spooky stuff.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

my buddys friend just had a copter errr crash.........landing
landed safe,skidd landed up hill he says

small like a r22,rear blade was replaced by a certed rebuilt,but part of it came off!
he is selling that chop,lol
I weanted a ride,until I heard that fun day............

Oh my gosh! That looked so bad, at first I thought it must have been an RC plane!!!

Wow

Bernie

Yea it did look like something in the drive broke. The rotors were all kinda caddywompus at first. Nothing about that had a safe exit.

The AS350 has a max rotor speed of about 335 rpm. Couple that with the ambient lighting and the digital video capture and you will get all sorts of visual effects from the rotor. If you look closely in the forst few seconds, he's put the collective to neutral to try and settle the bird back on the skids, but that was a mistake. To get out of ground resonance, you have to get the bird back off the ground, settle it out in hover or forward flight and land again.

Back