Bond UHMW to steel

I used a 3m product to bond UHMW to the transom on my aluminum boat. Holds some trim tabs and the depth sounder. That was about 10 years ago, hasn't moved a mm, let alone look like it will ever let go.

Can't remember the 3M part no. though. I want to say something like 5436 or something along those lines.

If you do use it, I recomend you are absolutely positive whatever you bond is not something you will ever need to remove.....

@Karl_T At my place of employment, we have UHMW strips that need to adhere to a powder-coated aluminum part. We struggled with that application for some time until we presented the issue to 3M. They provided a solution for us with a formula of their VHB tape. I don't remember what it is off the top of my head but I could find out if you are interested.

A little piece of UHMW has worked loose on my apple packing line...

It was bonded to a steel plate and came loose on machine startup (after being shutdown for 10 months). There must be 20 spots like this on the weight sizer and all but this one have held for 30 years.

I am getting it clean CLEAN KLEEN! right now. What adhesive would work best?

Karl
Special stuff called 10-32 flathead bolts.

I used a 3m product to bond UHMW to the transom on my aluminum boat. Holds some trim tabs and the depth sounder. That was about 10 years ago, hasn't moved a mm, let alone look like it will ever let go.

Can't remember the 3M part no. though. I want to say something like 5436 or something along those lines.

If you do use it, I recomend you are absolutely positive whatever you bond is not something you will ever need to remove.....
Sounds like 5200.

We use UHMW for wear points on nut equipment. A lot of it is held on with counter sunk screws set below the anticipated wear depth. Wouldn’t work if the counter sink could contact the fruit. Good luck and hope you have a good harvest
My experience (40 years) in the food industry is that the CS screws would be ok if SS, below the suface and slotted (easier to clean that socket or Phillips).

Back