Book Gloat!!!

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
i'm completely stoked on my latest treasure!!!!
it's a 5th edition Machinery's handbook copyrighted 1915:biggrin:

a little piece of history, the 1st edition came out in 1914 and sold out quickly. so did editions 2-4, they needed to make the 5th edition 18 months after the first was printed to try to keep up with demand.

My new book although rather beat up and dilapidated, still shines like gold to me!!
BTW,yes those are gilded edges on the 3 rd picture!!!

This book is my 3rd machinery's Handbook in my collection. Now i have editions 5,14,&17
i'm trying to collect them all slowly....
Here's some pictures...

Mhb1.JPG Mhb1.5.JPG

Mhb2.JPG

Thanks for looking,
if you have other volumes you want to part with send me a PM!!

Mhb1.JPG Mhb2.JPG Mhb1.5.JPG

ThAts awesome! Anyone have a copy of one of the first four editions?

Hi Ulma,
I like your new treasure, Like you I now have three copies of this fine publication, This must be the weather for Machinery Handbooks to come out of their hiding places Two weeks ago I picked up my third copy of this publication in a second hand shop in the West of Scotland, It is a 6th. edition copy published 1924, in not bad condition considering its age
Now for the strange thing , the original seller of the book was/ The Tool Shop Hardware Co.
(Tools Hardware Sporting goods)
463 Michigan Ave.
Detroit Mich.

This little book has ended up a long way from its original home, Maybe, it was purchased in Detroit by some Scottish craftsman who emigrated & then returned back to Scotland, Guess I will never find out Does any of our readers remember that tool shop, no doubt busy when Mo Town was a great centre for fine craftsmanship?

(P.S.-- I paid the equivalent in pounds sterling of approx. three U.S dollars for it, I guess that was not a bad price)

Hi Ulma,
I like your new treasure, Like you I now have three copies of this fine publication, This must be the weather for Machinery Handbooks to come out of their hiding places Two weeks ago I picked up my third copy of this publication in a second hand shop in the West of Scotland, It is a 6th. edition copy published 1924, in not bad condition considering its age
Now for the strange thing , the original seller of the book was/ The Tool Shop Hardware Co.
(Tools Hardware Sporting goods)
463 Michigan Ave.
Detroit Mich.

This little book has ended up a long way from its original home, Maybe, it was purchased in Detroit by some Scottish craftsman who emigrated & then returned back to Scotland, Guess I will never find out Does any of our readers remember that tool shop, no doubt busy when Mo Town was a great centre for fine craftsmanship?

(P.S.-- I paid the equivalent in pounds sterling of approx. three U.S dollars for it, I guess that was not a bad price)

Thank you very much , for taking time to reply.
you god a real steal on your book for $3!!!
that's an interesting story, we can only wonder how it got across the pond.
i wonder how many of these old books still survive....

i recently found a Henry Ford Trade School book published in 1943 that, covers machine shop practice.
a nice book but, it's rough around the edges.
Thanks for reading and commenting!!
mike:))

Nice find on #5, I have two copies of the 11th edition. You interested Doc? I have. 2,3,4,6,8,11,12,13,14,18 and all the rest from 18 up. When I get to the temp controlled storage I will see if I have any other extras. I know there are two 11's because I just got this one. It came originally from the Hospital Library , US Naval Hospital, Great Lakes IL. I have been collecting them for years. 2,3,and 4 were my Grandfathers'.

http://www.anvilfire.com/bookrev/in...eview of over 90 years of Machinerys Handbook

"Billy G"

Bit of a piker here as a Handbook collector, but I have the 5th edition, probably picked up at an estate sale, don't remember. I also have the 22nd edition, belonged to one of my customers that became a friend as well. He passed away a couple years ago, and his daughter gave it to me. When I got that, I gave my 18th edition to my daughter who was at the time, working in a machine shop. I also have the 4th edition of American Machinist's Handbook by Colvin and Stanley.

Think my oldest book is Watchmaker's Handbook by Claudius Saunier, 1894.

Jon

Jon Anderson (another forum member) has a "well used" 14th edition for sale, if any of you are interested. I've bought several books from him, as well as some parts, etc. He's good to deal with.

Go to http://prototype-design.com/garagesale.htm and click on the "Books for sale" link.

Nice find on #5, I have two copies of the 11th edition. You interested Doc?

"Billy G"

Yes, Sir i am interested!!! i'm envious of your collection:yousuck:

what can i offer for the 11th?

- - - Updated - - -

Jon Anderson (another forum member) has a "well used" 14th edition for sale, if any of you are interested. I've bought several books from him, as well as some parts, etc. He's good to deal with.

Go to http://prototype-design.com/garagesale.htm and click on the "Books for sale" link.

thank you very much, for the offer.
I have a 14th that is in good shape, but i appreciate your help!!

His other selection of books is very good, thanks for the link!!!!!!!

Thank you very much , for taking time to reply.
you god a real steal on your book for $3!!!
that's an interesting story, we can only wonder how it got across the pond.
i wonder how many of these old books still survive....

i recently found a Henry Ford Trade School book published in 1943 that, covers machine shop practice.
a nice book but, it's rough around the edges.
Thanks for reading and commenting!!

Hi Mike,
We seem to have the same taste in reading material, I also have the Henry Ford book, absolutely excellent for quick & sound information, Sadly we shall never see their like again, The modern text books do not have the same charm from a more practical age of great manufacturing empires.

I agree 100%,
today's books although graphically superior, lack the charm and simplicity, of the old school texts.
i kinda like the old, no nonsense approach to learning.
i think if i were to compile enough information to create a textbook, i'm sure i'd do it in the same fashion Henry Ford did!!!

Thanks again Core-oil, for sharing with all of us here!!

Back