Book Gloat!!!

i'm completely stoked on my latest treasure!!!!
it's a 5th edition Machinery's handbook copyrighted 1915:biggrin:

Very nice. I bought an old Gerstner that a Fifth Edition in the book til. Unfortunately, it's missing the front cover, but otherwise in great shape.

P7111902Large.jpg

Bit of a piker here as a Handbook collector, but I have the 5th edition, probably picked up at an estate sale, don't remember. I also have the 22nd edition, belonged to one of my customers that became a friend as well. He passed away a couple years ago, and his daughter gave it to me. When I got that, I gave my 18th edition to my daughter who was at the time, working in a machine shop. I also have the 4th edition of American Machinist's Handbook by Colvin and Stanley.

Think my oldest book is Watchmaker's Handbook by Claudius Saunier, 1894.

Jon

Wow!!! John,
i don't have anything from Colvin and Stanley, and i'm sorry to admit i'm ignorant to their work..
thanks for the lead to check out, iv'e gotta see them now:thinking:

The 1894 Watchmakers Book is a real treat to hear of, thanks for sharing!
my oldest book goes back to 1886, it has nothing to do with machinery..
It's a Charles Dickens' Book called The Old Curiosity Shop.
The book is a reprint from Dickens' 1840 work by the same name.

I do have another treasure an 1896 Theo. Audel & Co, Hawkins' New Catechism of Electricity.
it's in pretty good shape, bound in leather with gilded edges on the pages.

Thanks for sharing, i love the old books too!!!

I have 6,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21 and 22 been collection for a while now.

Paul

Hi again guys
As you all have possibly gathered one of the things in life I am extremely fond of is my books, of which I have a fairly good collection, I was only this week glancing through some of my books, which were pretty much standard reading in the mid 1940/s through to the late 60/s in the British trade schools

these are Workshop Technology part one ,& also Workshop Technology part 2 written by W.A.J Chapman These went through various printing from the original in 1943 right through till about1962 Should any of you folks come across copies of these books grab them, they are extremely good & sound workshop practice contained there in although they are specifically written for the professional engineering worker, the amateur will find them very useful, especially the sections in both volumes dealing with turning, planning shaping &milling Vol. 2 has some nice illustrations of big Cincinnati milling machines.

Another couple of nice books this time on technical drawing is a book by John R Walker -- Exploring Drafting- Basic Fundamentals Pub. 1975 He was a teacher at Bel Air High School Maryland This is a good simple drawing office book

The other is a British book A First Year Engineering Drawing by A.C. Parkinson I have had my copy since my days at trade school in the late 1950/s

I have 6,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21 and 22 been collection for a while now.

Paul
:man:
:yousuck3:

lol
Very impressive !!!

but, disturbing to me at the same time. pardon my envy!!!

mike:))

Wow!!! John,
i don't have anything from Colvin and Stanley, and i'm sorry to admit i'm ignorant to their work..
thanks for the lead to check out, iv'e gotta see them now:thinking:

The 1894 Watchmakers Book is a real treat to hear of, thanks for sharing!
my oldest book goes back to 1886, it has nothing to do with machinery..

Thanks for sharing, i love the old books too!!!

Thanks for the kind words. I had at one time, a technical library approaching 250 books. Had some fairly esoteric stuff, a lot of engineering books, and books on dies and die making. Way about about 30 years ago, was working in a sheet metal shop, and was given the task of designing and building production dies for a fishing lure based on my belief I could pull it off. I relied heavily on a borrowed book, Dies and Die Making Practice, and did in fact pull it off. Produced some 30,000 lures before the customer went broke. (lure was called the "Gotcha", a blatant ripoff of a lure known as the "Sure-caught" or something like that. Anyway, I really got into collecting books after that. It's all knowledge that people worked hard to learn and put together. Colvin and Stanley btw, jointly and separately wrote a number of technical books. Many on dies and die making, but on other topics as well. They became a subset of my book collecting for a time.
But, things change in life, I never managed to grow my business to do the things I wanted to do, and now I'm looking at semi-retiring to Australia. Probably look for a job welding as that's the easiest trade for me to get into at my age (56, and much of my working life is as a welder).
It's a big life change, I'll never again have anywhere near what I have today. So, that's why all the books for sale...
But it's real nice to see others with the same interest in the old books!

Jon

I too have a 5th edition dated 1916; I bought it back in the 1960s from ad in the "Machinist's Monthy Journal", which was the I.A.M.s (machinist's union) publication. The man I bought it from was it's original owner, with his name stamped inside the cover. I have several others of later publication, including the one that I bought when I entered the trade in 1964.
You want to talk envy?????? I also have a American Machinist's Handbook, first edition, from 1909 -----and several of later publication. If you worked in a railroad shop back in the day, it's just the thing one would need.
John York

I have several copies of old books, most 1930 and 40 and would lend them to friends as long as I get them back. Mike you and John should organize a Book Gloat conference and invite everyone out to CA ahhhhh say in January...or February....I would love to come... I bet DH has a ton too...Rich

I have a 10 edition 1939 given to me by my dad when I was in High School, all gold gilded edges. I also have a Marine Engineer's Handbook, Labberton and Marks, First edition 1945, and a Kent's Mechanical Engineers Handbook,Colin Carmichael, 12 edition March 1950 signed by the author. Finally a Kidder Parker Architects and Builders Handbook 18th edition all gold gilded 1931 (original price $5.00). "never a project came along I could not do"

I have a 10 edition 1939 given to me by my dad when I was in High School, all gold gilded edges. I also have a Marine Engineer's Handbook, Labberton and Marks, First edition 1945, and a Kent's Mechanical Engineers Handbook,Colin Carmichael, 12 edition March 1950 signed by the author. Finally a Kidder Parker Architects and Builders Handbook 18th edition all gold gilded 1931 (original price $5.00). "never a project came along I could not do"

The 10th edition is one of the harder ones to find. The 14th is the easiest of the older ones to find.

"Billy G"

Back