[How-To] Bore and Turn in a single operation, possible?

What material and how deep is bore and turn. Holding it in a collet?
What size bore And od ?
i think I could easily make a set up to do that.
I will go out to shop and post pic of how I would do it.

Attachments

• IMG_2685.jpeg
    IMG_2685.jpeg
    214.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2684.jpeg
    IMG_2684.jpeg
    202.4 KB · Views: 26
Unless your making hundreds or thousands, why?
Gang tooling was normal when I first started in production environment but that was before CNC was common in 'ordinary' shops

As some members correctly guessed, I am turning the necks of cartridge brass.

It's taken me quite a few tries to find cutters that leave a surface finish I find acceptable, particularly on the inside. I'm not inclined to change them at this point but, I have to say the ganged right and left hand boring bars looks very interesting.

I can get what I'm after in two operations, but there I'm counting on the repeatability of the QCTP assembly. I recently switched to a QCTP from All Industrial that's a marked improvement over the LMS one that came with the lathe, have not fully qualified it yet, too darn cold in the garage :ghost:.

In any event, the QCTP holders are not expensive, I can afford the freight to see if it's a net gain in time savings and results, but not if it's mission impossible, which is why asked about modifying one.

As some members correctly guessed, I am turning the necks of cartridge brass.

It's taken me quite a few tries to find cutters that leave a surface finish I find acceptable, particularly on the inside. I'm not inclined to change them at this point but, I have to say the ganged right and left hand boring bars looks very interesting.

I can get what I'm after in two operations, but there I'm counting on the repeatability of the QCTP assembly. I recently switched to a QCTP from All Industrial that's a marked improvement over the LMS one that came with the lathe, have not fully qualified it yet, too darn cold in the garage :ghost:.

In any event, the QCTP holders are not expensive, I can afford the freight to see if it's a net gain in time savings and results, but not if it's mission impossible, which is why asked about modifying one.

Regarding machining the cartridge brass, a normally the neck is swaged for an interference fit for the bullet. It would seem that a practical approach would be to swage the o.d. followed by reaming the i.d to size . Is there a concern with concentricity?

The Home Shop Machinist always used to have articles by re-loaders with some very interesting solutions.
I'll see if I can find any (unless someone else has ideas) that way you can probably get copies and make whatever is needed.
There may be a better way to size necks?

Back