Boring a turret on the lathe

Investigator

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a simple question, of which the answer might not be simple but here we go;

I have a Logan 12" turret lathe with factory turret bored straight at .750". Could I get a MT Reamer, chuck it in a collet or similar in the lathe itself, and then advance the turret to cut a Morse Taper that I could use to hold MT live centers in?

Turrets are normally used with a straight sleeve or collet. I would look for an adaptor from 3\4 inch to Morse taper. Don't mess with boring or reaming out the turret . Or make a live center with a 3\4 inch shank. Once the turret is reamed out there is no going back.

Or, you could buy a live center with 3/4" straight shanks, they are made for turret lathes.

Or, you could buy a live center with 3/4" straight shanks, they are made for turret lathes.
Costly little boogers compared to MT's. Not going to bother to show MSC or Royal product prices. . . :grin:

I'm in the same situation with my Clausing lathe and been wondering the same on what to do . Could a bar be machined to fit the round turret hole then the bar drilled and reamed for a MT ?

So, maybe make an adapter, straight shank to fit the turret bore, extended away from the turret which is bored for an MT Taper? Something like this:

MT adapter.jpgMT adapter.jpg

Put that in the turret? How would that effect accuracy of the center?

A live center is easily manufactured and I wouldn't recommend altering your turret . Machine a straight shank or purchase . Some of the members prefer to build over purchase . :dunno:

So, maybe make an adapter, straight shank to fit the turret bore, extended away from the turret which is bored for an MT Taper? Something like this:

View attachment 312030View attachment 312030

Put that in the turret? How would that effect accuracy of the center?

Yes, that's the idea.

As to the accuracy, there are a lot of variables in this equation. Even if everything is machined perfectly, each additional component reduces the rigidity. A turret itself is a compromise, trading some of the accuracy of a tailstock for rapid tool changes. Your original idea to modify the turret would be more rigid, but I agree that modifying the turret is not desirable. You're trying to adapt the machine to do work for which it was not intended. You have accept the compromises.

Back