Boring head 2" new $24 free ship

Mine showed up today. It's very nice. It says Taiwan on mine... Next will be a little project to make an R8 or BS10 mount.

Mine came today too. soaked it in Mineral Spirits, then oiled her up. I need to get some shafts. Nice quality.
I was surprised at the Allen Keys, 1 was 3/16, the other 2 were 3mm and 4mm.
Not sure why the SAE and Metric, but it's fine with me.
Mine says Taiwan. Absolutely clean, no burrs, no cleanup other than the anti rust inhibitor.
Thanks Silver Bullet. You were the masked man who came in on the white horse.

The adjusting bolt is SAE. The locking grub screws are metric.

I received mine and was impressed for the price but the .0005 per division does seem strange I'll have to confirm that before use. But otherwise very well built for the price but the arbors seem a bit scarce and will probably cost as much as the head. But no issue because it was a good deal.

.0005" per div does sound strange. All the boring heads I've used (Criterion, Yuasa, & Chinese import) were all .001" per div for dia. Pictures online of Interstate 2" boring heads show .001" as well.

I purchased the 2nd to last one available but mine is stuck in shipping limbo. If it does show up, I think maybe I'll use mine in the tailstock for turning tapers.....someday.

I found many arbors by doing a search for 7/8 - 20 arbor. Some are pricey though. LMS carries them also for about the same price as the boring head. The cheapest I found is around $20 plus shipping for a straight shank so would be the same as the head.

Ya, I know, but it's wierd that they mixed them up. You would think it would be one or the other, not both.
I received mine and was impressed for the price but the .0005 per division does seem strange I'll have to confirm that before use.

On my original Interstate, the lead screw is SAE with a metric allen socket on it. All screws were metric with three metric allen wrenches supplied. And, unless yours is different than the two I just received, you'll find it's 0.001" per division. I'm guessing this is why they were so cheap... mis marked.

Just a guess,
Ted

I found many arbors by doing a search for 7/8 - 20 arbor. Some are pricey though. LMS carries them also for about the same price as the boring head. The cheapest I found is around $20 plus shipping for a straight shank so would be the same as the head.

Might be a nice little project to make one. The one you buy might be hardened and ground but they don't need to be. You could make it out of a tougher material, but even low carbon steel would work.

Just a thought,
Ted

I know, I only posted that because others were looking for one. Maybe they had no way to make one.

Back