Boring Head (Wohlhaupter), Russian made

This might help.... Stefan Gotteswinter earlier this week posted his disassembly of a Japanese version of the Wohlhaupter boring head. You can see all the parts and it's assembly. He also changes the spindle to one that fits his machines.

Last edited:
It might not be missing anything, the center drawbar pulls it up onto a tapered spindle. The question is, what spindle nose does it fit? Knowing that would make machining an adapter a little easier. I've never seen anything like it in the US.

Can the center drawbar be removed?

Yes, the question is what spindle nose does it fit. It can be removed, buy cutting it off. But, without central bar, taper will not hold the boring head. It is too much steep, so there is a reason why it it there.

My thought was to remove it by unscrewing it if possible, then measuring the taper to design a mount for whatever machine you want to fit it to. You could spend a lot of time trying to figure out what machine it fits or make it work with something more common.

My thought was to remove it by unscrewing it if possible, then measuring the taper to design a mount for whatever machine you want to fit it to. You could spend a lot of time trying to figure out what machine it fits or make it work with something more common.

Well, I was hope that there is readily available something. I guess there isn't :frown: Anyway, yesterday, I was took it apart. As it can be seen from pictures, inside cone with rod in the middle is integral part of the boring head body. Probably, I will newer get 7:24 taper adapter to this boring head, so, the only solution, as I can see now, is to make an adapter that accept this cone/rod on one side and 7:24 taper on the other side. I thinking about rebuild some of the larger BT-FMB tool holders.

Thank you all of you who try to help me.

IMG_0169.JPG

IMG_0170.JPG

Back