Boring tool

Charles scozzari

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Can anyone help me out with how to remove this Beaver quick change boring head adaptor #64 from the 3" Criterion boring head. I tried with a spanner I made but it did not budge. I don't know if it's left or right hand threaded. I haven't heated it or used a pipe wrench on it not wanting to damage it. I was unable to find any info on line. The head is in nice shape, so I would like to make use of it if possible. Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks, Charlie.ABC6A76B-5C16-4FA3-8050-77596FA88B79.jpeg9491DA47-9E00-4F1A-963F-F26C5CDFC944.jpeg695D1B17-550A-496E-8173-9CFA553D44E7.jpeg986EFE92-9C93-4CD6-819B-502EA7FDE61D.jpeg5F6B88F1-256B-4731-912E-FD6474EB2B0F.jpeg

Last edited:
It looks like it about the right size to use one of the half-round wrenches with a single tooth on the end. Sorry, Don't know the proper name for them. But, they're the type used on ER-32 collets.

It should be right hand threads so it tightens spinning normally.
Thanks for your reply. I had a 3' bar on the spanner and went right first and then left and it didn't move. With the head locked in my vise I was afraid of damaging it. The hole in the shank in some way may play a part in some way. After trying with the spanner and the bar It was tempting to use heat but I didn't. I have to wonder why it's called a quick change adaptor.
It looks like it about the right size to use one of the half-round wrenches with a single tooth on the end. Sorry, Don't know the proper name for them. But, they're the type used on ER-32 collets.
Thanks for your reply, I have tried with a spanner with no luck. Thanks.

I agree that it's probably threaded on with a RH thread. My guess (and that's all it is) is that the "quick change" part is what that stud goes into. I'd start by tearing apart the boring head - they're not complicated. Remove all the 'gib' screws, and start backing out the adjustment screw. Once removed you might (might!) have a view of the other end of that adapter. That will at least give you somewhere to shoot some penetrating oil as well as possibly confirming the thread hypothesis.

GsT

I agree that it's probably threaded on with a RH thread. My guess (and that's all it is) is that the "quick change" part is what that stud goes into. I'd start by tearing apart the boring head - they're not complicated. Remove all the 'gib' screws, and start backing out the adjustment screw. Once removed you might (might!) have a view of the other end of that adapter. That will at least give you somewhere to shoot some penetrating oil as well as possibly confirming the thread hypothesis.

GsT
Hi, Thanks, I went through that and didn't see anything, I was hoping to find some sort of retaining bolt but there was nothing I could see that was holding the head. I didn't want to heat the adaptor but I think I'm going to have to. I just don't want to hold the head in a vise. When I did use the vise the first attempt I used delrin blocks to avoid any damage to the head. Thanks again.

Back