Bought a 110 to 3Ph VFD

yes a 220 to 440 step up transformer and a 220 1ph to 220 3ph vfd would work if the price was right
something new to look for on craigs list
as soon as i see 440 i pass it by
I gotta stop doing my own thinking!
steve

yes a 220 to 440 step up transformer and a 220 1ph to 220 3ph vfd would work if the price was right
something new to look for on craigs list
as soon as i see 440 i pass it by
I gotta stop doing my own thinking!
steve

Steve
I just looked on my local kijiji, they are all over the place. I think its 1.5 KVA per hp you would be looking for. A transformer should be a easy find for a couple hundred bucks max

thanks guys
i love it when i learn something new
easy problem solved
now how to get a transformer in the back yard past the wife........
thanks
steve

i hope i didnt offend you charley
I kind of changed the subject
but i am watching your thread on my email
steve

The VFD was waiting on me on the front porch today when I got home, Cute little thing:drool: Benny is gonna get up at 5:30 am and load my Bridgeport for me and deliver it:whistle:
Ok I can dream, but I do have a fork truck lined up for tomorrow so if he's up to it and it don't rain it will be at my shop tomorrow:biggrin::drool::drink:

cool. thats what I use to power up my clausing lathe. for the smaller motors it works great.

Benny has a good idea for hooking up my VFD so I can use it on more than one machine, I want to run it by some of you electrical experts and see if there are any reasons not to do it this way.

He suggested that first we leave the switch in the on position and remove the handle/knob instead of hooking it straight to the motor bypassing the switch. The second is to put in a twist lock connector to disconnect the mill and be able to plug the grinder into the VFD.

I can't really afford another VFD so this would be great if it's not gonna cause any damage to it.

As long as your motors both use the same voltage, there is no problem sharing. Check out this thread: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/4971-Two-for-One-VFD

The relay route costs a fair bit. 3-phase twistlocks will work well. Just make sure the power is off when you're changing machines. My motors aren't even the same RPM and it works great. The built-in tach sensors really make the installation sweet.

Looking for some advice from those of you who have installed and are using a VFD to drive your 1 HP or less hobby machine motors. The drive Charley has purchased is from an international industrial company, not a cheap Chinese clone. The manual is very detailed and written to cover most industrial installations.

1. The first question is about a breaker on the supply line side specified by the manual. I would think a fuse would work as well and would be less trouble to come up with and mount.

2. The second question is about the use shielded power cable between the VFD and the motor. Have any of you used regular unshielded motor cable and if so have you experienced any problems?

3. The next question is about the use of line and load reactors. The manual seems to indicate that these last items are optional depending on a number of factors. Did any of you install any of these?

4. Finally for applications like the hobby machinist where there or no low voltage control circuits, PLC, computers and the like running nearby at the same time how much of this added stuff is really needed? I don't consider it a problem if Charley's radio has a hum while he machines.:lmao: I know in the industrial applications these things are used as "good practice" and problems arise if not applied correctly.

Looking for what you guys are doing in the real world of the Hobby-Machinist?

Thanks,
Benny

I have a question. Has anyone actually used a VFD to power a higher-voltage motor through a transformer? I'm wondering if the transformer, which was designed for a specific frequency (50 or 60 Hz), can pass the speed-control variables on to the motor reliably. The VFD works by changing the frequency to the motor. I have mine set for 10 Hz to 90 Hz, but it can go up to 200 Hz.

I'm pretty sure you would have no problem raising the voltage from 220 to 440 single-phase through the transformer and then using a 440V VFD to change single-phase to 3-phase and control the motor speed. Just don't know about using the cheaper VFD ahead of a 3-phase transformer.

The costs could balance out - single-phase, lower-voltage VFD with 3-phase transformer vs single-phase transformer with higher-voltage VFD. All things being equal, I'd up the voltage first, then convert to 3-phase with control.

Back