Bought a few QCTPs to compare quality in inexpensive brands.

And I'm wondering what in the heck he is machining that he needs that level of rigidity...
Parting-off stainless with a long stick-out indexable parting blade for one. And scissor knurling 4041 into a diamond pattern for another. Rigidity for both operations is paramount. If you need a third, then boring with an indexable 3/4" carbide boring bar trying to hit tenths tolerances.

And I'm wondering what in the heck he is machining that he needs that level of rigidity...

On my LeBlond I can take a .250 DOC on the radius on a 2" steel bar. That's a little bit of pressure... (on my Enco 4-way tools post mind you...) I only push it that hard when I'm in a real hurry... I also had to drill a 2" hole in some stainless that took quite a bit of pressure...

In auction haul i ended up with a genuine Aloris tool post - AX 7 (i think it said) parting blade holder. It is not like the current parting blade holders - the screw and clamp for the blade is vertical instead of horizontal. There's a block on the bottom that clamps the blade to the top, unlike the new style that has the wedge clamp at the top. I wanted to try this style as parting can have some pucker factor and i'm always looking for a way to reduce it.

The darn tool holder is too tight to fit in either of my Phase II tool posts (wedge and piston)!!! I had luck shaving the bottom of some import ones but just touching a file to this one it is hard! This one is tight both ways with the dovetail - really the inside 60* dovetails need a bit off from each side to allow it to slide on. The only tool that i could get in there with was a die grinder and i was able to carefully shave down the 60* face of the dovetail so it would fit my tool post. I know others have mentioned that they might be hardened - well they definitely are!

So far i really like that parting tool. It works really well holding the blade very solid with minimal stick out. It leaves big Cs curling until i back off to break the chip. I've found the one's that clamp at the top seem to interfere with some parting blades if you grind a hook or chip breaker in them so then you have to stick it out a bit further which causes more pucker. Looking at what Aloris offers now it seems like they don't offer this style so there must be a reason it fell out of favor.

I purchased a 5 pack of AXA 250-102 tool holders as i don't have any 102 style boring bar holders and they looked like they'd be handy. The quality was pretty good with good set screws and fit and finish. Here is a link to them, they are labeled as "autoparts"!

Previously i had purchased AXA 250-101 from Greennnmood which were OK however i did get 3 that didn't fit correctly and had to contact the seller about them being too loose on my tool post. Also the set screws are adequate but not as nice as the Phase II, Aloris nor the autoparts ones.

My LeBlond is out of commission right now, and I had to use my 750 lb 12X37 lathe to bore a hole 1 5/8" by 5" deep. I could have done this on the LeBlond in a short time...

On the 12X37, I've put in about 5 hours now. I'm about half way done.

Trouble is, this is a used shaft I'm repurposing. it is 4330 heat treated, and likes to work harden if you don't take a deep enough chip. I've got to get that LeBlond working again right away!!!

My 12X37 is 750 lbs (not including the home made stand) The 1440 is 1675 lbs (with integral stand) and the 15" is 3845 lbs.

@Mr Mike
I enjoyed your thread here, and hope the side comments, didn't put you off any...

Any sort of conclusion? Or at least, what did you do with all your sets? What happened to the Dorian?
I bought a Phase II, and realize that it wasn't the best value. Anyway, please post again...

@Mr Mike
I enjoyed your thread here, and hope the side comments, didn't put you off any...

Any sort of conclusion? Or at least, what did you do with all your sets? What happened to the Dorian?
I bought a Phase II, and realize that it wasn't the best value. Anyway, please post again...

I'm in no way done, while the thread did get hijacked, its just on hold.... My lathe is sitting crated in the same spot as delivered.

1. The side comments haven't put me off - I think its a good topic to compile in one spot.
2. All the tool-posts are boxed up next to the lathe.
3. No Dorian has been purchased yet.

Ill get back to it eventually, be a few more months at best.

Mike.

It is pretty common for higher end tool posts to have anti-rotation features. My Aloris CXA has a bore for a dowel pin, as do Dorian tool posts. My Emco 4-way has it also. Extra insurance, I guess. The LeBlond can take a .200 DOC (.400 on the diameter) in 4" 4140 without slowing down - it's previous owner showed me that. I prefer to go slower, myself...

Back