Bought A Few Tools

Hi All,

Finally had a chance to sort through the tooling that my friend Brad got for me. From what he described, it was 'junk', and it was rattling around in a toolbox when he brought it to me. I cringed a bit, then cringed a lot, but nothing is banged up too badly. Some useful and interesting stuff in there.
20160130_131311.jpg

Of note are a Lufkin 1-2 micrometer, two Brown and Sharpe 0-1 micrometers, a JT Sloomb(hard to read) 2-3" micrometer, a Starrett No.14 2 1/2" toolmaker's square, No 494A machinist's buttons, A No. 4 Thread gauge, No 272A Radius gauges, No 298A depth square (sans scales, but I think I have some that'll fit), Union tool thread gauge, Goodell-Pratt feeler gauges, two small Starrett V blocks, some un-marked parallels and setup blocks, An old Ideal Tool indicator (the one with the little needle that moves, very cool and works smoothly), some drills, taps, and center drills. There's a right-angle attachment for a dial indicator, but it only has "A9-R1" on it. Seems usable. Some vice jaws, a bolt-down V block, and a very, very curious item.

In the picture, just above the rightmost B&S 0-1" micrometer, you can see a double-triangular block. Took me a moment to figure out what it is. It's a vice block. The two halves pivot in the middle, to allow for misalignment of a not-quite-square part in the vice. It's home-made, extremely good quality, made on 2-5-55.

The scale with the notch on the end (left most, bottom left corner) has some other notches in it, all seemingly deliberately cut. I get the feeling someone did that while doing a massive run of parts, to essentially make it a go-nogo gauge of sufficient accuracy.

Also, my neighbor across the street snagged this for me at a thrift shop here locally. It's awesome, because I needed a new hat. :)
20160130_132322.jpg

Bad news is I still haven't had time to get out in the shop and make chips. Too much going on still, and by the time I'm done with all the 'have to do' stuff, it's generally roundabout 9:30pm on the weeknights. I get up at 5am, and need all the sleep I can get. Weekends are usually taken up with upkeep on the house and property, although tomorrow I'll be pouring beer at a fundraiser event down in St. Pete. Not really up to it, but I did promise my buddy I'd be there, so I'll be there with a smile on and enjoy it. One of these days I'll get some time for myself, and will be able to finish organizing the shop. Just feels weird to have some good luck for a change, and it's nice that so far this year has been loads better than last year.

I think my Dad had the exact same Craftsman toolbox.
You deserve some good luck.
May it last a lifetime!
-brino

Went to the Florida Flywheelers antique tractor and engine show, and stopped by the consignment tent. Picked up a nearly new hand tapping machine (import, but serviceable) and a Scarlett pin punch for the princely sum of $45. There is some surface rust on the tapping machine, but that'll clean up nicely. Has all the collets that it is supposed to, most still unopened from their little plastic bags. LMS has the same one for $145, so I think I did okay. tmp_21343-20160228_112826268069552.jpg

Might be time to buy a lottery ticket. Mike

Hey Shad,All I got to say is you must of done something very good in your past life,that's fantastic haul if I had seen that on Craiglist I would have beg,borrowed or stole to buy that,great find I'm sure you deserve it and by the way I still have your tie down straps let me know when you'll be home and I'll drop them off. Rick

I'd keep that stuff and give away what I have now. :you suck:

Nice finds.
The one you can't read is probably JT Slocum, good stuff back in the day

Back