Bought a lathe, any ideas on unloading from pickup bed ?

I've used the same hoist to lift the same size lathe out of truck beds many times.

I suspect you'll have no trouble at all. I never did.

Do not attempt to lift the lathe with that setting of the hoist. In that setting it is rated for 500 lbs and the weight of the lathe will exceed that rating. Even if the hoist doesn't fail, it is not very stable in that position.

I would use the innermost position and use the hoist to drag the lathe off the truck bed until I got to a point where I was lifting vertically. I would also shorten the strap as much as possible.

Load leveler attached. Chain looped and bolted securely. Going to move the tailstock in just to make sure this won’t slip.

yes, the straps are between the lead screws and bed, so there is virtually zero contact between the straps and screws.

D1752D4E-7A84-4109-9044-2E39780576EB.jpeg59C71E36-6CB8-490B-A1C2-F67BA13102CB.jpeg

Your balance point is probably awfully close to the headstock strap. You may want to move the carriage toward the tailstock

It’s down!

worked the load leveler to ensure lathe was level, lifted straight up, had the wife drive the truck out and lowered it onto the cabinet.

Now I just need to take and pressure wash the oil tray, and put it between the lathe and cabinet.

I do need to come up with some sort of adjusting shims or something to make sure bed is level.

D9580FA2-0FFE-4285-94A5-E17AA20C8836.jpeg

Congrats on the having the new acquisition safely out of the truck and in your garage.

Do not attempt to lift the lathe with that setting of the hoist. In that setting it is rated for 500 lbs and the weight of the lathe will exceed that rating. Even if the hoist doesn't fail, it is not very stable in that position.

I would use the innermost position and use the hoist to drag the lathe off the truck bed until I got to a point where I was lifting vertically. I would also shorten the strap as much as possible.
I ton is 2000 lbs, 1/2 ton is 1000 lbs and lathe is 960 lbs.

I agree it’s more stable at shorter lengths. Now that it’s down, I can get closer without hitting the tailgate and use a shorter boom.

I ton is 2000 lbs, 1/2 ton is 1000 lbs and lathe is 960 lbs.

I agree it’s more stable at shorter lengths. Now that it’s down, I can get closer without hitting the tailgate and use a shorter boom.
My bad. I was thinking of the 1 ton hoist. I have the same hoist as yours. Personally, I wouldn't trust Harbor Freight's safety margin in their ratings though.

Anyway, I'm glad that you were able to get the lathe off the truck without incident.

I have the same hoist and have used it about 5 times now without incident, glad to hear you have the machine out of your truck....

My bad. I was thinking of the 1 ton hoist. I have the same hoist as yours. Personally, I wouldn't trust Harbor Freight's safety margin in their ratings though.

Anyway, I'm glad that you were able to get the lathe off the truck without incident.
I borrowed my friends 2-ton, and it’s WAY better than the crappy 1-ton version I have, way more stable. I do need to upgrade to the 2-ton.

Back