B'Port clone rebuild begins

Moving on...I need help. I can't get the elevating crank shaft out. I've removed the bearing plate screws but can't pull the shaft out. I've doused it with penetrating oil, no go. I'm afraid to use too much force. Would love to have some suggestions.
20220612_172141.jpg

Hammers and pry bars are being held in reserve right now.

I'm adding just a touch of acetone to help it flow , and adding the Majic brand hardener from our area Tractor Supply store.

"paint it, get it covered (with paint) and then leave it alone".
This is exactly how I paint things that matter, dries fast and hard!

Looking good man.
The shop floor looks brand new. Oh wait, it is right?

Looking good man.
The shop floor looks brand new. Oh wait, it is right?

Fairly new.....Been in it about a year "ish". I would do the floor differently knowing what I know now. Having said that I like it well enough.

Thanks for the tip on the enamel hardener, looks like a winning ticket!

Moving on...I need help. I can't get the elevating crank shaft out. I've removed the bearing plate screws but can't pull the shaft out. I've doused it with penetrating oil, no go. I'm afraid to use too much force. Would love to have some suggestions.
View attachment 409935

Hammers and pry bars are being held in reserve right now.
Any way to affix a slide hammer to it?

I used a slide hammer to remove my knee elevation shaft. I inspected the castings to see if the bearings were secured with set screws or some kind of tangential pin, and discovered it was just a press fit. About six firm but not excessive slams with the slide hammer, and it came out just fine.42654881925_1d408789e4_k.jpg

42654881555_dc2dfe7359_k.jpg

Last edited:
Progress pics and a question.....
I'm about to move the base into the room and put it where it's going to live. So the question is on the wall or in the corner?
The machine room is about 12x12 :
20220618_174113.jpg
20220618_174135.jpg
20220618_174144.jpg
20220618_174157.jpg

Of course the round column will be going away, but the Logan lathe will stay where it is. So I have the opposite wall and corners for this clone mill and tool boxes and shelves.

My thoughts right now are these; I think corner placement would be easier from the standpoint the ram would have a place move into without forcing me to move the mill so far away from the wall. But, in the corner would also be harder to clean around. Also I wonder about belt speed changes. Would being in the corner be harder for that, would the table be in the way?

Love to hear thoughts and opinions on how you folks have placed similar mills.

I have my lathe and mill in line, more or less out in the room, mill to the left, lathe to the right. This lets me run long pieces through the headstock and support the floppy end on the mill table. Similarly, I can work on long pieces in X for the mill.

Then, the bandsaw is in back of the mill, the work moving parallel to the lathe Z and mill X, and the horizontal saw is in back of the lathe. The horizontal saw is on casters and rolls out for longer cutoff work.

I haven't encountered any issue with work I can't do because of placement. At least, yet.

The phase converter is mounted on a beam above and in the center of the four machines, and all are electrically connected to it. I run only one at a time...one man shop, you know.

Last edited:
Back