B'Port clone rebuild begins

Belt changes and cleaning won't be a problem in the corner but, my definition of cleaning may be a little different than yours!

Belt changes and cleaning won't be a problem in the corner but, my definition of cleaning may be a little different than yours!
OK, you have my interest. what is your definition?

I'd put it on the wall opposite the lathe. I'm thinking if you put it in the corner you'll use more floor space. The corner behind the mill will be waste space. Might be worth a to scale sketch with the mill cutout including the limits of travel in X.

Bruce

I'd put it on the wall opposite the lathe. I'm thinking if you put it in the corner you'll use more floor space. The corner behind the mill will be waste space. Might be worth a to scale sketch with the mill cutout including the limits of travel in X.

Bruce

Ok, If i do that, how far from the wall does the back of the pedestal need to be to give the ram room?

I'd opted for the wall. I know corner placement is pretty popular, but I didn't care for it myself. When I got my mill, I fitted it with leveling feet that put it up off the floor just enough for a pallet jack to slip under it. I let the mill sit it a couple different places and used it for a bit. The pallet jack made for easy moves around the shop until I found the right spot.

Your new paint job looks great!

I set my mill up against the wall, I moved the head back as far as what was recommended gave myself another inch and called it good. I'll measure the distance to the base tomorrow and let you know. I have a PM-935TS.

Tim

Check your table travel limits (including handles) to see how far out from the corner the mill would have to be to give you full X-axis travel.

Ok, If i do that, how far from the wall does the back of the pedestal need to be to give the ram room?
Here are photos of my 42" table BP. It's not up against the wall in my shop, have some photos with a tape measure. If mine was up against the wall, the base would be about 1' from the wall. I've got the ram moved back to about 4" of the dovetail overhanging the base at the table side. My work envelope is 7' with the 42" table moved to the far left/right. For fore/aft is about 7' too; 1' clearance at the back and standing on foam pads in the front.

Bruce

Ram is about 1' beyond the base. It could go back a little further, maybe another 6".
20220619_100009.jpg

7' from the edge of my foam pads to the back of the mill
20220619_100109.jpg

42" table to the left; albeit mine has a servo motor sticking out an extra foot because of the CNC
20220619_100250.jpg

7' work space with the table all the way to the right
20220619_100352.jpg

Back