Brake rotors and State Inspection

I realize this is beating a dead horse. I've already changed out the brakes completely.

I measured 27.68mm thickness on the thinnest rotor. New is 28mm, min is 26mm. The exterior facing parts look ok.
PXL_20240510_145558064.jpg
The back side is not as good. But I was expecting to get some quantifiable answers why this was unacceptable. That has not happened. I'd like to know how much is too much. The regulations don't address this. Surely there has to be a criteria? Something that is measurable? I don't know why HM is rotating these pictures! I had rotated them prior to my download.
PXL_20240510_145512727.jpg
On the backside, inner rust ring is about 10mm. Outside ring is 6mm on left (top) and 7.5mm on right (bottom).

Guess I'm mostly irritated that these didn't last that long. These rotors are practically unworn with respect to thickness. If I had a large enough lathe, I'd attempt to resurface them. Don't know how it would work out, it depends on how deep the rust is. All in all, I don't think that the missing swept area is that much compared to the total, but I might be surprised if I calculate it.

I also could see why it was rejected, but this is in a murky area - there's no quantitative specification - which can make the regulation subject to misuse. I may still contact the DMV and ask about this. Surely they must have guidance on this. Like 1mm is ok, and more than 6 is not ok? 0 would make everything fail.

Subjective tests suck. I failed an inspection because my signal lamps were "the wrong color yellow". I said they looked amber to me. I asked to see a color card or for a Pantone or RAL Code, something conclusive. Nope. Failed and had to come back the next day. Another time they told me my front side windows were tinted. The hell they are, I said, and vigorously took my car key to the bare glass on the inside. No apologies issued, just a single cross-armed grunt from the full cadre of inspectors. There is no fault if a fault can't be compared to a verifiable standard. Except at vehicle inspection...

you could just take an angle grinder to the edge and knock it off. it serves no purpose. you could carefully remove the inner rust ring using a sanding pad to prevent damage in case you slip off.

And when I have needed to replace brakes, but my rotors are above min, I take an orbital sander and rough the faces up, removing any glaze.

Brake rotor wear limit is 1mm, which is .020 per side. Some manufacturers (OEMs) allow 2mm, so it does depend on your car.
If it isn't a vented rotor you can take a little more off one side or the other...

Subjective tests suck. I failed an inspection because my signal lamps were "the wrong color yellow". I said they looked amber to me. I asked to see a color card or for a Pantone or RAL Code, something conclusive. Nope. Failed and had to come back the next day. Another time they told me my front side windows were tinted. The hell they are, I said, and vigorously took my car key to the bare glass on the inside. No apologies issued, just a single cross-armed grunt from the full cadre of inspectors. There is no fault if a fault can't be compared to a verifiable standard. Except at vehicle inspection...
I'm thinking that this is what happened. "I know it's no good when I see it" kind of judgement, but there's nothing objective. Thinking of calling DMV. They may simply say, "we give wide latitude to certified inspectors". If so, I'll ask what prevents "self serving" rejection? How are self serving inspectors reprimanded or removed? Or maybe they will tell me something useful, it could happen. Well instead of blabbing here, I sent a message to my state DMV asking about this, and if this is a failure, what line number does it fail under. I didn't mention the dealer, there's no need to at this point. Just want to get the DMV's guidance on "rust rings", what can pass and what should fail. The regulations are unclear to me, think they should be clear to everyone.

I'm out nearly $600 for this unplanned escapade. Also have to go back to "the scene of the crime" to get reinspected. Hah, hah, that's if my car will move. Haven't driven it since Wednesday.

As for rotors - mine are ventilated. As manufactured they measure 28mm thick. Mine measured 27.68mm, the spec limit is 26mm. Barely worn.

I'm thinking that this is what happened. "I know it's no good when I see it" kind of judgement, but there's nothing objective. Thinking of calling DMV. They may simply say, "we give wide latitude to certified inspectors". If so, I'll ask what prevents "self serving" rejection? How are self serving inspectors reprimanded or removed? Or maybe they will tell me something useful, it could happen. Well instead of blabbing here, I sent a message to my state DMV asking about this, and if this is a failure, what line number does it fail under. I didn't mention the dealer, there's no need to at this point. Just want to get the DMV's guidance on "rust rings", what can pass and what should fail. The regulations are unclear to me, think they should be clear to everyone.

I'm out nearly $600 for this unplanned escapade. Also have to go back to "the scene of the crime" to get reinspected. Hah, hah, that's if my car will move. Haven't driven it since Wednesday.

As for rotors - mine are ventilated. As manufactured they measure 28mm thick. Mine measured 27.68mm, the spec limit is 26mm. Barely worn.
Don't be surprised if your answer from the DMV involves waking up with a bloody horse head in bed next to you.

I don't think the rust rings have anything to do with the effectiveness or useful life of the rotors. I think it is simply a matter of at least 1 in 4 customers paying the $700 to the inspectors for the brake job.

Back