Brake star wheel rule

Karl_T

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
The brakes completely went out on my old POS fork truck. RAMMED the forks into a load while pumping the brakes. :(

Want to tighten them first. Is there a "brake star wheel rule"? In other words , which way do i stick the screw driver in and then pry?

Pretty sure this won't get it. Trying to find a replacement master cylinder or kit is going to be fun parts no longer supplied by a dealer, need generic or figure out what vehicle used the same

If i have to go inside the brakes themselves, I doubt parts can be found.

Are you talking Forklift? What make and model? Most wheel cylinders are standard size bores. Should be able to get parts from a parts house that has books to look at, not computers. Adjusting the brakes will not bring them back. Bleeding may help temporally.

If the shoes aren’t too badly worn or soiled, you can clean and re-use them.

is the reservoir empty? Is the master cyl wet? Sometimes hard to see.

I’d look at the brake backing plates and look for a wet spot towards the bottom of the plate. Adjusting dead hydraulics won’t get you brake pedal. I’ll bet it been spongy for a while?

In my experience, the adjusting stars have RH threads. You just have to deduce which side of the anchor the star is on. Peeking thru the hole with a flashlight can help answer that. Haven't had much cause to do it since I put discs on my VW.

Agree with the others, unlikely an adjustment will solve the problem.

Brakes don't suddenly fail because of misadjustment. More likely a loss of fluid due to a leak. You didn't say if you had any back pressure when you pumped the brakes, First thing to check is fluid level in the master cylinder. That will tell you a lot as to where the problem lies.

As to which way the adjuster works, my recollection is that they are right hand threads. As to whether you adjust the star wheel up or down depends upon the orientation of the adjuster, Adjuting brakes has akways been a pita for me. The adjustment hole is in an awkward location and the adjuster tends t jump teeth even if the adjuster isn't rusted. I usually end up pulling the drum to get at the adjuster and cleaning and lubing the adjustment screw and noting which way to turn the star wheel to reduce the shoe clearance. I'm really thankful that disk brake are used o al four wheels now,

BTW, a screwdriver is a poor tool to use. I bought a brake adjustment tool decades ago.

Left and right hand threads on most forklifts, (worked on fork lifts for a while). Use a small screw driver thru the elongated adjuster hole to push the star dog away from the star wheel and use a brake spoon to back off the wheel. Forklift drive axles are like a 2 ton truck rear axle. You have to remove the axle shaft. Remove the hub spindle nuts. Then pull the drum. Usually have to back off the brake shoes. Most wheel cylinders are 1“ or 1 1/8” diameter.

Yep, knew that's what I am up against. Just want to tighten them so they drag a bit. which way should i try on that star wheel. Grab the top of the star with the tool and pry it down by pushing up on the brake tool??? or the other way???

Cat, Mitsi, White, Hyster, Clark, Komatsu, Daewoo, Hyundai, etc.? What brand and model? I possibly have the manual. Some have a star wheel for each shoe.

Last edited:
Its a very old hyster. I have the manual, just does not mention something this simple. But not really simple cause is is TERRIBLE to pry the star wheel, decided to stop until I could verify direction. Looks like that not going to happen.

PS, bleeding has brake working an inch from floor.

Last edited:
Back