Brake star wheel rule

You live in Minnesota, so rust is most likely a factor. Could you adjust the park brake so that it would stop the lift and by so doing it would also raise the pedal heighth?

I would try some penetrating oil on the adjuster screw. I have had luck with Free All. This T.O. describes a star for each shoe. See attached.

Attachments

• 028286Brakes.pdf
    852.6 KB · Views: 4
Thanks everybody for the advice.

I ordered a real brake adjuster off amazon.

OK, star up to tighten. I assume that means grab the star at the bottom and then pry it up?

I will try to spray Kroil in there but it won't hit much through the tiny slot hole.

Re: park brake - good idea but it rusted tight years ago. I want a variation of this idea, tighten stars until I got enough drag that machine will stop on level ground with no brake. NOTE: this antique truck has a transmission and clutch, gas engine. Not like the hydro-static in virtually all newer fork trucks.

I will NOT do more. If this does not get it, time to get another lift. Reason is parts - in the good old days one could work with a service desk. Today they need a stock number to order. Hyster won't even try.

<RANT ON> For years there was always someone that had been a mechanic running the parts department. One could bring in something like this master cylinder and say, need to rebuild this. The guy could look at it say, that's same as they used in a '66 chevy truck (or whatever) and go get the parts. Today, almost no one in my area has any real mechanical repair knowledge at the parts desk, if they can not bring it up on the computer you are not getting the part.

Example - the starter solenoid died on my ford tractor. This solenoid was used in hundreds of ford products for decades. I gave the dead one to milady and asked her to pick one up after grocery shopping. She came home empty handed.

Example 2 : 25 years ago I had no brakes on that same ford 8N because it was leaking oil onto the drums. I stopped at the local tractor spot and the fella behind the desk talked me through the repair and got me ALL the parts i would need. Said he had done this job many many times - call me if you need help. This all before even taking the tractor apart.

I miss the old days <rant off>

We had a mom and pop parts store when I was a kid - Wizeners. Had door on the left, long counter, parts guy on the right, long window down the front. The parts s man knew what everybody drove. He would see you walk in front of the window with a starter, etc. He would RUN to the back and have your correct part laying on the counter when you got to the desk. He delighted in this.

Back