Brass Bushing & Steel Shaft

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Afternoon guys,well I have hit a snag working on the Colchester lathe.Today I started taking the apron apart for a cleaning and close inspection which I did not have to look hard to find an issue.With finger tip pressure I was able to move this gear around noticing its very loose.Guys where the shaft rides on the bushing it is wore down and there is a ridge and where the shaft is good it fits loose in the brass bushings.The temptation is for this newbie is to try to make the bushings and just purchase a piece of steel rod and turn the OD to size.Sounds simple to most people but not for this beginner with limited tooling and not experience.My first question is all brass the same and how do I know what steel to get to make a new shaft?
These parts go into the aprons wormbox so I guess not a lot of strength is needed but don't want it to ware out either.In a nut shell what material do I need for these parts and I have to say that I never really made anything that needs to fit perfectly with no play.Any advice ---kroll

DSC02725.JPG DSC02726.JPG DSC02727.JPG

Well heck glad I ask,OK I went to Online Metals and there is several different grades of bronze.Which one for bushings???Thanks for the reply---kroll

Silica bronze and drill rod for shaft is durable combination, but some one with metallurgy knowledge might recommend other.

660 bearing bronze would be my choice for the bushing. Drill Rod will work well with 660. My 2 cents.

"Billy G"

i have used phosphor bronze for some long lasting bushings.
it's kinda a PITA to cut but it's tough as nails. as long as you keep the bushing/bearing lubed up, it will last a very long time

Looking at the pictures posted, I don't see any wear per say. How much clearance did you measure between the shaft OD and the bushing ID? If it's .005-.006" or less, call it good and put it back together. Let the next generation of kroll's worry about replacement.

Back