Brass Bushing & Steel Shaft

Two things to look very closely at. You have a flange at both ends of that bushing. The two shiney portions on the shaft with a gray area between tells me the same thing. You have two bushings there, one put in each end. I could be wrong but Ken almost nailed it when he couldn't see any wear.

"Billy G"

Good point,I really don't know what is acceptable what's not.That shaft has a ridge on it where each bushing was riding,the shiney spot does not go all the way around.Kinda like it was rubbing on one side but not the other.I did go and measure it using my HF digital calipers.The HF part is just an FYI,the shaft measuring on the end measures .557 and in the spot where the ridge is measures .551 the ID of the bushing measures .570.Which it does have so wiggle to it,is this something not to worry about?Now I did get the rest of the gears out and the bushings that are press in the gears also have some movement that the .562 shaft goes through.The bushings ID measures .563 so once I replace the rod that measures .557 with new rod that measures .562 maybe it will be perfect????
Went over to Online Metals and they have 0-1 drill rod w/OD .562 x 3' so that part is fixable.Guys thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions

DSC02733.JPG

Look down the bore of the bushing you may be able to see the separation. If not try scratching it with a scribe you will feel the separation.

"Billy G"

If you turn the shaft end for end will the bushings be running on a new section of the shaft?

Greg

Whats strange about the way its setup on the lathe in the apron,there are no oil ports.Its a 1965 lathe that came out of a machine shop,so without a way to oil it how did it last so long?

Oil impregnated bronze for the bearing http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=840&PMCTLG=00

and drill rod for the shaft as Paco suggested.

Oil impregnated bronze, I have used in the past. I don't know the other kinds of bronzes. Sometimes the salespeople know the differences or have engineers on staff to help you.

For that matter how do you know what you ordered is what you got? When I was cutting stock, back in the day, each mill supply had a different paint code for the same steel.

Back