Brass pennies and so much more

Very cool! I have never seen this done.
Since the new pennies are zinc inside, some people (not me) use them as a zinc source when making brass.
Edit:
My wife is Norwegian. We need a thumbs down button for things like Lye Fish.

Oh my. I use to love bagels :)
Bagels get dipped in LYE???? No way

edit: Oh yes way... I didn't know that. I thought Jake was referring to the hard type that some people like, like pretzels, but regular bagels are often dropped in a lye bath then cooked...

Last edited:
Bagels get dipped in LYE???? No way

edit: Oh yes way... I didn't know that. I thought Jake was referring to the hard type that some people like, like pretzels, but regular bagels are often dropped in a lye bath then cooked...
Why the heck do they dip dough in lye?

Very cool! I have never seen this done.
Since the new pennies are zinc inside, some people (not me) use them as a zinc source when making brass.
Edit:
My wife is Norwegian. We need a thumbs down button for things like Lye Fish.
Nothing to do with lye but...
The title of your post reminded of my time in Navy machinist school.
Money usually ran out before payday arrived and I liked snacks.
So one day I found a piece of brass about the right dia. and turned the OD to that of a quarter. Then I parted off a bunch of slugs. They worked fine in the vending machines in the barracks.
The big wigs got word of it and gave our class a severe dressing down for it.
Misappropriation of government property and all that...
That was 52 years ago so I'm hoping the statute of limitations has run out.
Otherwise I wouldn't be talking about it even now.

If you don't like lye, you can use potassium hydroxide. This may be conveniently obtained from the paste inside an alkaline cell. Squeeze out some of the "toothpaste". It contains zinc powder and potassium hydroxide, and I did try using it successfully to make pennies turn silver. Don't cheap out too much and use a completely dead battery (that you used a Joule thief to suck dry) since discharge depletes the zinc. Also, note that this paste is corrosive, so keep it away from sensitive body parts. Safety glasses are recommended.

Back