Brass Questions...

I'll fully stress test it like i mentioned above in a press. but given that the current setup is a mild steel that only measures .125, i thought almost doubling that would be sufficient.
I may have some harder brass hiding around the shop somewhere from old jobs, but ill have to look around. any suggestions on what grade i should be looking for?

good morning all,

I'm currently working on an old motorcycle im restoring and have yet to come across an actual answer to any of my questions regarding brass so i thought this would be a good place to go.

1- is there a general rule of thumb on using home made brass nuts on brass rod? This would be for shifter and brake linkage paired with 2 RH M8 hiem joints, the only reason being that a LH die is crazy expensive.

I'm mostly concerned with safety on this one, i can reuse the OG parts, but brass looks so nice with black and polished aluminum.

2- tapping & thread cutting with a die.. the lathe i have access to is older than dirt, and very poorly maintained as it has little use in our shop (I have been given approval by my plant manager for government work as long as im off the clock) that being said, i'm having a terrible time with this. I've always been told stock size should be what ever thread size your shooting for before cutting (M8=.3145 stock and so on) but i found that cutting about .015 off of it prior to a die makes it much easier as im doing this by hand, thoughts on safety of this?

for anyone asking, im using 360 half hard brass

thanks in advance for any clarification on these questions

You might want to consider making the linkage threaded parts out of steel & have them brass plated. Caswell offers a brass plating kit that might be an option for the hobby machinist.

the current stock linkages are a mild steel from what i can tell.
I really want to use brass because not only is it easily accessible for me, I've already made brass foot pegs and the little pegs that are used for the foot brake and shifter.
besides this, i really love the look of polished brass and black. I've sand blasted my engine and that will be painted black this weekend, then ribs, side covers, and valve covers are to be polished (aluminum)
I want this bike to stand out, and i rarely see brass on bikes, mostly due to the sheer cost of buying anything made of brass i think.
they do sell brass linkage kits, handle bar risers ect. but just shopping for them made my wallet hurt lol

Back