Brazing Stainless Steel Wire Rack

A spot welder would be great for this. It's great for sheet metal stuff as well. I'm going to use mine to repair a BBQ grill whose slats have come loose. It appears that's how mine was made to begin with. No weird fluxes or brazing material, just a couple of 2 second welds. No need for lots of clamps either because the tips hold everything in place.
Most likely why things like this have been spotwelded for the last 70yrs.

Cadmium poisoning would be great advise to receive, I’m sure his family would enjoy a rando on the internet suggesting this out of hand.

You also suggested a flux that has the warning of hazards to the unborn according to the msds sheet.

I thought it was pretty clear that one would only want Cd-free materials. At least in my post I expressly stated that.

I suppose you’re right that if one didn’t think to wash off the flux, that could be a risk. I guess we all have different levels of thoughtfulness, precaution, and risk tolerance. It’s okay that you would take a different approach; I think the point of discussion was to encompass multiple options.

Seems like the risk is simply not being able to make the repair. I attempt these types of things to develop skills and reduce waste. It is often not the economically preferred approach.
Seems this post and your original about the cad free (I read it but had forgot by the time the above was posted) contradict a little.

My apologies if I read into that, I heated my lunch in the heat treat oven again and may have inadvertently ingested some heavy metals.

TIG welding would be fine as well, although spot welds would be a lot faster! I'm sure there's some food safe braze rods and flux out there, but you'd have to research that. Out of the three options, spot welding comes out first, then TIG.

A 115V spot welder is not that expensive these days and is a good tool to have in your arsenal. Guess they have gone up to $170 at HF, they used to be around a Benjamin. I used mine recently to weld 0.050" sheet metal to 1/8" thick strapping, as well as the sheet metal to itself, when extending my lathe backsplash. The welds only take seconds. Fitting and clamping take far longer. Once clamped, you can just successively spot weld down the line, Piece of cake.

Thanks for the response and I do appreciate you pointing out the potential risks of hazardous materials.

I fully agree a spot welder is the best approach. I’m close to finally getting one for similar needs.
I’d love to have/build one, but my garage is so packed as it is.

I need to bulid an out building before I retire so I can settle in and do some real work.

TIG welding would be fine as well, although spot welds would be a lot faster! I'm sure there's some food safe braze rods and flux out there, but you'd have to research that. Out of the three options, spot welding comes out first, then TIG.

A 115V spot welder is not that expensive these days and is a good tool to have in your arsenal. Guess they have gone up to $170 at HF, they used to be around a Benjamin. I used mine recently to weld 0.050" sheet metal to 1/8" thick strapping, as well as the sheet metal to itself, when extending my lathe backsplash. The welds only take seconds. Fitting and clamping take far longer. Once clamped, you can just successively spot weld down the line, Piece of cake.
We threw out a nice 220v one at work a few years back. They won’t let us get scrap passes anymore due to liability reasons, so a brand new 220v hand operated one got cut in half with a torch and went to the scrap yard.

All I can do right now is rosette welds with the mig and back it up with copper plate.

Works alright.

We threw out a nice 220v one at work a few years back. They won’t let us get scrap passes anymore due to liability reasons, so a brand new 220v hand operated one got cut in half with a torch and went to the scrap yard.
What a waste.

Back