Bridgeport Availability In Your Part Of This Country

I found my 1967 Series1 Vram Bridgeport in a pawn shop near Ann Arbor, Michigan. They wanted $1500, I talked them down to $900. The table, and quill and spindle moved freely, with about .012in backlash on both the X & Y axis. It was dirty and the clutch was missing some parts, and they didn't have 220V so I couldn't see it run, but being a Bridgeport I knew I could find parts.

Brought it home with an ancient machine moving trailer with a hand operated winch that an ex-shop teacher buddy had built. Put it in my heated garage (see pic below), put a VFD on it, and set about the minor repairs to the clutch and auto-downfeed.

Transplanted the DRO Pros from my HF mill/drill, and happily used it for several years, until I got the bug to have it restored as a retirement gift to myself. I discovered it was more economical to sell the BP and purchase a brand new Acer 3VS (see 2nd pic), so I sold the BP for nearly twice what I paid.

I'm still nostalgic for my old Bridgeport, nostalgic for my old mill/drill for that matter. But there's nothing like a brand new machine.

Bridgeport_Moving_day5_9FEB13.jpg Acer_move2.jpg

What! you do not like the flame hardened ways?

Surprised the fire was hot enough to melt the aluminum. I also find it interesting the unburned areas in the back ground. I have followed your story, and am amazed at how fast you have returned to a sort of normal. I would still be crying.

Are you kidding?
We had rivers of aluminum. In fact, check out our yard art.
I think this is 20111B20-8883-49B7-B606-4EDDAF04013B.jpegmy cylinder heads...

Not sure who saw this but there's a Shepard mill for sale near me for $8500 CDN.
It is the first private sale of a BP-style mill I've seen, outside of one for sale as part of a business sale.
Crazy thing is the seller bought it in March for $6150 or less and now wants $2300 more. Not worth it to me.
Nice mills are very scarce in this province.

I had to drive about 50 minutes just outside of Toledo Ohio in the middle of nowhere in the farmland zero cell phone signal and I picked up a 1960 Bridgeport for $450......:cool:

David,
That's a lot of money for a BP clone. I think you can buy a new one for that, or less.

Pictures or it didn't happen! :)
I'm converting to CNC.... :cool:
20181122_163152.jpg

Last edited:
Back