Bridgeport Power feed on an RF-30 clone

I like it Dave.
I had never heard of that company where you bought it from. I would love to have one on my 833T's X-axis. Tired of cranking.
Thanks, it's going to be an arm saver on a project I have coming up; slotting a 9" face plate for my lathe. No way I was going to crank that job!

So the power feed project is done.
Today I drilled and tapped the brass gear for a pair of 1/4-20 set screws on opposite sides of the gear hub.
Filed a pair of matching flats on the leads screw shaft and snugged the gear back into place. Works much better now. Previously the gear would creep away from the pinion and create backlash.

I also reoriented the lever so that it's more obviously left and right. There's a slotted screw in the side of the knob and a set screw in the lever. The set screw was hellish tight. I almost didn't proceed because initially I couldn't get it to budge.
lever with slot.jpg
A roll pin limits the lever movement. There are a total of three places where it could be located. I moved it to the hole directly beside the original position
lever off.jpg
And everything back in place.
lever on.jpg
Works great!

Dave how has the power feed been working out. I tried unsuccessfully to make one for my rf30 using a window motor. I am now looking at this option. Any issues with it?

Dave

Dave how has the power feed been working out. I tried unsuccessfully to make one for my rf30 using a window motor. I am now looking at this option. Any issues with it?

Dave
No issues whatsoever, works like a charm.

Happy this came back up, I now have an RF30 and besides not wanting to spend the money for the "correct" one I have limited space to the left of my machine.

Thanks Dave,

John

My pleasure John!

I got the vector power feed. So I can start making a mount for it. Was there a bearing on that end of your lead screw? Mine there are thrust bearings on the right hand side, basically nothing on the left.

I got the vector power feed. So I can start making a mount for it. Was there a bearing on that end of your lead screw? Mine there are thrust bearings on the right hand side, basically nothing on the left.

Sorry I just saw your question.
I actually don't recall but I think there was only a thrust bearing on the right side was well. Which would make sense given that the load would be axial.

Just an update after, omg 5 months. Finally got the power feed mounted. I made a mount from a large cutoff I had. Went to fit it up and I over bored it. So I started a different piece. a couple hours a week, so lots of time in between. Then on Sunday I had another look at the mount and I can’t believe I had over complicated the mount. I took off the existing lead screw mount on that end turned it down to fit the power feed. Spotted the holes drill tapped and the power feed is mounted. Spent tonight boring out the drive gear and cut it to length. I drilled and tapped a set screw in the drive gear for now. Not sure what to do to put a keyway on the lead screw.? Maybe a cotter pin? I will have to think about it.

Back