Bridgeport Rehab - or How To Lose Your Wife In 10 Days

jmiller

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi, my name is Justin, and I'm a tool addict. It was suggested to me that I chronicle the restoration of my Series 1 J-Head Step Pulley Bridgeport. So here'goes.

I've been in the market for a milling machine for about a year. Always wanted a bridgeport, but they get snapped up so quickly and they are such large machines that I assumed I'd end up with a benchtop mill. I was so close to ordering a Precision Mathews. My phone dinged one day with a craigslist alert. About 80 miles from me a guy was selling seven bridgeports! SEVEN! Thats a 7 with nine zeros in front of it. So I called him and he didnt know anything about them, just liquidating an estate. He assured me they worked and were still hooked to power and sent me some photos. I bit.

I went to check out the machines. I had first choice. Most of them were CNC converted with little computer terminals running DOS. This was an old machine shop that probably hasn't been used in 20 years. There was 2 manual machines and the first one nearest the door was kruustyy. But this gem was in the back corner. I fired it up and It ran smoth. All the axis were smooth. It was just covered in years of grime. I had to have it. We talked, we bartered, I ran around the shop collecting all the tooling and stock metal I could get my hands on. There was way too much. I need to go back for more. And the price was so right. I left with cash in pocket still.

Screenshot_20230728_091827_Samsung Internet.jpg

So how did we move it? I rented a hydraulic drop deck trailer and a pallet jack. Using scrap wood and a large pry bar we were able to get it up on blocks and slide the pallet jack under. Pulleys and a come-a-long got it into the trailer. Long slow drive home all the down the I-5 corridor on a Saturday afternoon. Im doing like 55 mph cause idiots keep cutting me off and driving crazy and I know I cant stop quick with this monster in tow. But I made it home. Reversed the process to get it into my garage. The unloading was a little sketchy as I had to do it alone, but I managed.

20230729_171736.jpg

Now I have way too much stuff and no where to put this so the firat step was to completely clean and reorganize the garage. Also built a work table to store and clean parts. Let the adventure begin.

First project was to clean up the Kurt D60.

20230730_152210.jpg

I stripped it down and straight into the bucket of Evaporust. Now this proved to be a mistake in that I didnt bother to degrease or clean the parts prior to soaking. The rust remove did its job but got all nasty from the grease. I lined a strainer with 2 layers of blue shop towels, the paper ones, and strained the evaporust through it. This worked quite well to clean the liquid up and trap most of the grease.

Results of the base masked off for painting.

20230801_090458.jpg

I decided to forgoe the Kurt Obnoxious Blue. This may be sacrilege, but I'm more partial to red. Here is the vise reassembled and painted.

20230807_203557.jpg

In all the excitement of purchasing the mill I didnt notice that the steel jaws were missing. It did have a set of soft jaws that had been milled to accept an odd shaped part. I'll probably order some or try to find them if I go back to that place for more loot.

So the seller of this machine through in a blown engine hoist with seized casters for free after I refused to pay any money for it. He just wanted the stuff gone. A quick swap of the ram and a day at the Evapo-spa for the casters gave this soon to be scrap a new lease on life.

20230805_140151.jpg

I've already put it to work dismantling the machine. This weekend I got the entire lower portion stripped down and began the arduous task of cleaning.

20230806_163410.jpg
20230807_203332.jpg

20230807_203320.jpg

Here are all the handles and dials cleaned up. Still need polishing. I think I'll order one those scotch brite wheelse for the bench grinder.

20230807_203634.jpg

20230804_205427.jpg

Ive begun taking some of the top end apart for cleaning. I am a little intimidated by a full top end rebuild, but I a may tackle it regardless. Ive ordered a few replacement parts. The quill feed trip lever dog bone thingy was broken, the micrometer scale was missing and replaced with this contraption

20230804_205430.jpg

I kind of like this idea and may keep it. I still want the original scale though. I've also ordered new way wipers and some replacement screws for a few slotted fasteners that were mangled either during installation or removal. Ive also ordered a Tico L510 220v to power the motor. Those should all be here in a few days.

But alas, I must go out of state to visit family so this project will be on hold for a week or so. I'll post some more updates when work resumes.

I’m enjoying this read thoroughly!

Fortunately, I don’t have another square inch in my shop, or I’d be heading up I-5 in search of this seller…

Oh … definitely order the scotch brite deburring wheel. Just close your eyes and pull out your wallet. The prices aren’t for the faint of heart, but without exaggeration it’s almost certainly the most used tool in my shop.

These stories of triumph and tragedy are gripping! Looking forward to the next installment. I would like to know more about the the fate of your wife though. The character didn’t even make it past the title of this story! Is she back at the estate, fending off other rabid hobbyists anxiously waiting for your return with fistfuls of cash? What is she guarding - a right angle head? A slotting head?! Or, was it in your haste to get home and fire up the Evapo-spa, did you leave her at a four way intersection while directing traffic so you could maneuver safely through? We must know the journey of this Bridgeport and those heroes who sacrificed themselves for the creation of the chips and scraps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait, who? Oh right, the wife. Shes somewhere beyond the gates of the hell here.

20230805_110659.jpg

Had an extra child lock laying around. This keeps me safe while I play with my toys. She was opposed to the purchase of the mill. Has been ever since I started floating the idea around. But the crafty man that I am, I finally agreed to let her buy the new MacBook she's been wanting forever. Two days later I showed up with a grin on my face and rusty mill in tow. She was less than thrilled, but didn't have much ground to stand on. This thing cost less than her computer after all, and its a business write off.

Much to her chagrin, I spent two full days in the shop, neglecting both wife and child, for there is a new love in my life. I shall call her Bridgette. Bridgette Port.

My wife was being a good sport this weekend, but I could tell she was biting her tongue. That's 2 days down and 8 to go. Im taking the family on a trip to visit the in-laws who live out of state, so hopefully that will buy me some extra shop time when we return.

Back