Bridgeport Rehab - or How To Lose Your Wife In 10 Days

it probably would have made a nice grooving tool for a snap ring, o ring, E ring.. something similar.

It's HSS, you can grind another one. Starting with a small parting tool might be easiest though.

GsT

I’m struggling to make heads or tails of that photo!

It looks like a parting tool, but laid down on its side bizarrely, fed into the end of the part like a boring bar, but fed into the BACK side of the part like it was turning in reverse, and the part appears to have a slot on the end like a slotted screw.

None of that can be right, can it?! (Laugh)

I’m struggling to make heads or tails of that photo!

It looks like a parting tool, but Kaye’s down on its side bizarrely, fed into the end of the part like a boring bar, but fed into the BACK side of the part like it was turning in reverse, and the part appears to have a slot on the end like a slotted screw.

None of that can be right, can it?! (Laugh)
Well most of it is wrong, but some of its right. I believe it was a small parting or grooving tool. I mounted it side ways and used it as sort of a keyway broach to make a flathead screwdriver slot in the end of that part. It worked beautifully... until it didnt.

The lathe wasnt powerd i was just running the crosslide back and forth while incementally moving the carriage in. Looking at the photo I probably moved the carriage prior to pulling the slide back and snapped the tool.

I mounted it side ways and used it as sort of a keyway broach
Ah! For some reason, broaching a slot didn’t even occur to me. I’ll sleep better tonight!

I’ve broached keyway slots on the lathe, and broached fiducial lines and index divisions on dials using the lathe, but the carriage was always providing the movement (axially). I’ve never made screw head slots that way with the cross-slide (radially).

I take it you don’t own a mill? I’ve always used slitting saws for screw heads. [Just remembered what thread this is in!]

Funny how other methods of work don’t even occur to you sometimes.

Can someone point me in the right direction for what wire to use between the control box and the vfd. Is sheilded cat6 enough?

Can someone point me in the right direction for what wire to use between the control box and the vfd. Is sheilded cat6 enough?
Most likely. I don't remember what cat6 wire gauge is, but all you need is like 22 gauge. The sole purpose is to run a signal so it doesn't require much of a wire. Only ground one end of the shielding, otherwise you will end up with a ground loop.

Most likely. I don't remember what cat6 wire gauge is, but all you need is like 22 gauge. The sole purpose is to run a signal so it doesn't require much of a wire. Only ground one end of the shielding, otherwise you will end up with a ground loop.
I got a length of 28awg sheilded cable when I ordered my tachometer. Then I noticed in the manual the recomended 24awg so I ordered a bit of 24 sheilded cat6. That should be sufficient I would think.
16930712523125250137716834091552.jpg

Back