Bringing a PM-1054TV-3PH into my Garage

I had a rigging company take care of placement of my ACRA LCM-42. Like you, I had it delivered to their place of business. It came on a pallet and the rigging company used their forklift to remove it from the delivery truck. They did all their lifting from the pallet and never even touched the machine beyond strapping it down. When it got to my shop they used the fork lift and drove it inside and left. I dissected the pallet out from underneath the mill and used a pallet jack to push it into position. I'm 6' 4" tall so raising mine up was a priority.
20210719_082916.jpg
20210724_131204.jpg
ACRA3.jpg
acra2.jpg

I also needed extra height for my mill, so now it's on 4x4 blocks with a 4" column riser. I use a mill vise with a swivel table, and now the normal working height is around belly to chest high...just right. I'm 6'3" and can still reach the drawbar. I also mounted the bandsaw on 6x6 blocks and the lathe on 4x4...it could even be higher though.

I have moved both a mill and a lathe around that each weighed in over 8000 lbs, using a pry bar, skates, and a toe jack. Well worth having on hand as rearranging machines seems to be inevitable.

I have a hoist that I used to take the mill off of the pallet, I then placed on the angle iron with wheels. I had to use a toe jack to lift it up and turn the wheels. Once in place I replaced the wheels with the feet that I bought from PM. I guess I didn't take photos while moving it. Here is what I have.

Tim

20220319_153252.jpg

20220319_160044.jpg

Super helpful tips, everybody. I really appreciate the responses. I will have some time on the weekend to make a meaningful contribution to this discussion.

I am leery of pestering the rigging company because their hourly rate is so high. I also try to keep my calls and emails to Precision Matthews to a minimum, as I have a tendency to make a pest of myself.

It sounds like I should be equipped to move the machines around myself.

This article shows how to use a forklift placed under the ram to lift a vertical milling machine.

Here is a photo with an engine hoist lifting a knee mill by an eye hook. I sure wish I knew the size of the eye hook that would screw into a PM-1054. I’ll bet that it is metric!

9E321BD9-232C-48BA-909C-E27476473D26.jpeg

Back