Here are some pictures of a skate, & knee mills & engine lathes on skates:

6C678F54-5AEC-43F8-8972-998FC85732EF.png

0F169031-A5CB-4C86-B6F7-CE5C5C7B30CA.png

1FCB4F38-2374-4E87-91B1-0ED0CB077534.png

C5E603BE-F28A-4863-AA33-46E18C121B1C.png

6618D944-599F-4A44-BCB3-887C96E1E700.png

4DC6EDB8-E43D-4DAF-8AA4-3F9A1321C1E5.png

A5A59DFC-29D2-4A49-9B01-39905A8A5F89.png

The last drawing makes me cringe, and amazed that it comes from factory instructions. One wrong move and the sling under the mounting boss for a slotting attachment would slip right off the end. I'd at least put a stout pin through the hole to trap the sling. Kind of a sharp edge in that area as well. If you use a lift eye threaded into the top of the ram, shoot for 1-1/2 diameters of thread engagement, and use a good quality lift eye, not some made in PRC POS. Spending the extra $$ on a USA made Crosby is cheap insurance. Do yourself a favor and use purpose built slings, and not rope. Those drawings look like they came from "the good old days"!

The last drawing makes me cringe, and amazed that it comes from factory instructions. One wrong move and the sling under the mounting boss for a slotting attachment would slip right off the end. I'd at least put a stout pin through the hole to trap the sling. Kind of a sharp edge in that area as well. If you use a lift eye threaded into the top of the ram, shoot for 1-1/2 diameters of thread engagement, and use a good quality lift eye, not some made in PRC POS. Spending the extra $$ on a USA made Crosby is cheap insurance. Do yourself a favor and use purpose built slings, and not rope. Those drawings look like they came from "the good old days"!
So maybe it is not the best idea to hang a $15K machine by a $7 eye bolt?

B292848D-452B-41FE-86F7-D34E013CAFB4.png

A lot of the descriptions specified to have the straps bolted together.

I am leaning toward investing in a toe jack + skates. For what I am paying the riggers, I could send them away as soon as possible (stop the clock!), & buy a toe jack + skates with the money I would have paid the rigging crew.

When I rent an engine hoist, it takes me half the day because I have to:

(1) borrow my Dad’s truck with a tow hitch,
(2) rent an engine hoist as well as a trailer (I don’t want to take the time to dissemble to transport to my house, assemble to do the job, dissemble to transport back to the rental yard, & assemble to return the engine hoist),
(3) bring my Dad his truck back.

Last edited:
Do you guys think that I can use a toe jack + skates to do the following?

(1) get the knee mill from the pallet (I will cut the pallet down) to the leveling pads/riser structure, &

(2) move the 4,400 pound engine lathe across a 2 car garage (as I posted earlier, I need to completely move the engine lathe out of the way for the knee mill to come in).

I think that I will have the rigging crew put the engine lathe back in place. I would hate to lose control of the lathe & have it roll down the driveway (it goes at the far end of the garage, only 12” from the downsloped driveway). I would not be able to afford to repair it.

I also have a 170 pound milling vise that I need to lift up to the mill table after I remove the “cosmoline” from the table. I was hoping to do this with 2 people, but I actually don’t have anybody who would help me.

I have a toolpost crane that I could use to lift the heavy vise up to my welding table (which is on wheels). I could then wheel the welding table over to the mill table. Moving the vise 2’ across surfaces of equal height would be an easy task.

Sky Hook sells a mill vise hook lifting aid:

40940526-AEB8-45F2-AA8C-4F45858F9DE1.png

Well, You definitely have a big job in front of you. You probably mentioned it at some point but do you have room for a gantry crane in your shop?

Do you have any help with this move or are you relaying only on the rigging crew?

With at least one other person a toe jack and skates you should be able to move your mill and lathe around. That my option anyway.

I can't say that I have ever needed a toe jack before, but I wanted to be as safe as possible when I moved my mill. I will probably use it again later to lift it and add some sort of spacer under it to raise it up 4 or 5".

Well, You definitely have a big job in front of you. You probably mentioned it at some point but do you have room for a gantry crane in your shop?

Do you have any help with this move or are you relaying only on the rigging crew?

With at least one other person a toe jack and skates you should be able to move your mill and lathe around. That my option anyway.

I can't say that I have ever needed a toe jack before, but I wanted to be as safe as possible when I moved my mill. I will probably use it again later to lift it and add some sort of spacer under it to raise it up 4 or 5".
No room for a gantry crane. Also, I don’t have help. My Dad is turning 80 years old, & my one son & two grandsons in the house are *very* reluctant to help; the young people in the house are very much doing their own thing.

I am so selective about my friends that I have none in my town.

With that said, the rigging crew is great!

It sounds like it might be worth it then just to pay the bucks and have professional help!

Back