Broken IGaging scale

Ben17484

Registered
Registered
Not sure what’s happened here, but one of my iGaging scales seems to be broken. I move it 2mm and it can show a change on screen anywhere between 10mm and 800mm seemingly randomly.

I’ve had it apart and cleaned it up, but can’t see anything wrong with it. Has anyone seen this before?

45caa1b1dfa1db6b41ecf2f18ba04069.jpg

885cb269a11e8adaa33beb60753b1c33.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve swapped the read out part with another I’ve got and get the same issue, which points to the part on the actual scale as the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You cleaned the scale itself and the head? Those are capacitive scales so debris between the scale and head could cause a problem
They are cheap enough to just replace- I've never seen a diagram for those and you probably couldn't buy the scale separately anyhow
-Mark

I have 3 of them ( later models but very similar) on my mini mill, X and Y works perfectly but the Z axis jumps unexpectedly, I cleaned both the reader and the scale a couple of times and still get the same problem, I learned to live with it and keep an eye on it so as soon as it jumps I zero it .
I know it's not the same issue you are having but the point is ,they become unreliable eventually.

The sliding contact to the scale is a weak point on these things, especially if it's an aluminum scale. Aluminum readily forms an oxide layer which makes the connection resistive and can cause problems like you're seeing. Take a look at the edge of the suspect scale to see if it has crud or oxide on it. Also: I think you could flip the scale around so the sliding contact is seeing a "fresh" surface. It _might_ work, depends on whether the vernier structure under the paint is centered or not.

I have a slightly newer set of Igaging DROs on my mill and they all developed problems like yours. After trying all sorts of things I found the best solution was to drill a hole on one end of the scale and use it to attach a wire with a spade connector. The other end of the wire was soldered to the sense head's internal ground (the same as used for the sliding contact). The wire was left long enough to accommodate the range of motion of the head vs. scale. So far the wires haven't broken but if they do, not difficult to replace. BTW I used stranded wire because it's much more flexible than solid.

Before taking the step of drilling holes in your scale(s), you can evaluate the possible benefit by using an alligator clip attached to the end of the scale. Just make sure it's contacting metal, not the plastic covering the vernier. Of course, you still will need to connect the other end of the wire to the read head's ground.

Other things that can cause the readings to jump around are nearly-exhausted bstteries and resistive contacts on the USB-like connector that goes between the read head and display module. I occasionally have to unplug/re-insert the connector to get the readings to settle down.

Earlier on in my quest to tame their "jumpiness" I soldered 1 microfarad capacitors across the read head's Vcc and Ground. That helped but did not totally eliminate the problem. I think these scales can exhibit similar symptoms due to a number of different issues, which may explain why it can be difficult to troubleshoot them.

FYI, after discovering the problem with the sliding contacts I have avoided buying Igaging DROs that use aluminum scales. The stainless steel versions are more expensive but seem to be less problematic. But I STILL find it necessary to add the capacitors......

Seems like the glass/optical scales are so much better in all respects it's worth the small additional up front cost-
plus you have a choice of scale/head sizes

Seems like the glass/optical scales are so much better in all respects
No reason to disagree that quality glass scales are better than Igaging magnetic scales. But it seems fair to point out that there are quality magnetic scales that are also likely better. I'm sure I don't need to remind anyone that you should not expect too much from bargain basement tools. BTW, you could probably buy 5-10 Igaging magnetic scales for what I paid for my Magnetic scales. so buy a half dozen and replace them as they fail. you might still come out saving money :)

All the iGaging scales that I have seen are capacitive. Same as used on the Chinese digital calipers.

All the iGaging scales that I have seen are capacitive. Same as used on the Chinese digital calipers.
good point. I mentally lump the magnetic and capacitive scales together but intellectually know that there are differences. Thanks for pointing out my simplification.

Even cheap tools have their place, but if they have a built-in self-destruct mechanism I'd be less inclined to invest in 'em

Back