Broken yoke

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hello all,
While milling the ring for my head stabilizer I noticed that the Z-axis DRO numbers were a bit erratic.
I found the problem tonight. Seems the yoke around the spindle that holds the depth stop has cracked at the rear where it get pinched together.
I never use the depth stop but I do need a place to mount the Z-axis DRO scale.
IMG_6754.jpg
I think I have a couple of choices here:
a) TIG braze the part back together
b) make a new yoke out of steel or aluminum
Any other thoughts oh wise members?

Just do the brazing repair, it'll be good practice and take less time/money than making a new part.

John
Thanks John, I'll have to research a bit as I've never brazed anything.

Ah, time to scrap it and get a new machine... :grin:
j/k
Brazing should work for what you need it to function for, but best to let the welding pros chime in.

I brazed some cast iron parts for my lathe with my oxyacetylene torch a few weeks back. I got some special rods from the welding supply that made it fairly easy. Also I preheated in my gas BBQ grill and used it to control cooling.

Best of all, if you get it wrong you can just make a replacement part on the mill so you don't really have anything to loose ;)

Jjohn

I brazed some cast iron parts for my lathe with my oxyacetylene torch a few weeks back. I got some special rods from the welding supply that made it fairly easy. Also I preheated in my gas BBQ grill and used it to control cooling.

Best of all, if you get it wrong you can just make a replacement part on the mill so you don't really have anything to loose ;)

Jjohn
Are the oxyacetylene rods different from TIG rods?

Are the oxyacetylene rods different from TIG rods?

That, I really can't tell you, they were silver solder with flux on the outside. Your LWS should have what you need and maybe even some advice.

John

Back