Broken yoke

I really had good luck Tig brazing cast iron with aluminum bronze on AC. I most recently used that process on the cracked Walker Turner base. BBQ preheat for me as well along with after heating and slow cool down. On a small part I just use a propane torch for preheat and slow cool.

Last edited:
Hello all,
While milling the ring for my head stabilizer I noticed that the Z-axis DRO numbers were a bit erratic.
I found the problem tonight. Seems the yoke around the spindle that holds the depth stop has cracked at the rear where it get pinched together.
I never use the depth stop but I do need a place to mount the Z-axis DRO scale.
View attachment 342920
I think I have a couple of choices here:
a) TIG braze the part back together
b) make a new yoke out of steel or aluminum
Any other thoughts oh wise members?
I would add a dowel pin and "v" out the crack before Tig brazing. Likely stronger than stock.

I would add a dowel pin and "v" out the crack before Tig brazing. Likely stronger than stock.
How would you see setting it up to drill for the dowel pin?

How would you see setting it up to drill for the dowel pin?
Not being a smarty pants, just funnin you, but carefully :grin:
I think if you X-Y from the side and bottom and centralize the pin it would work. Drill and ream for 1/8 or 3/16" pin. Even If your alignment is off a smige, the grinder will "fix it back".:)

you can practice with the silicon bronze (edit: aluminum bronze) filler using AC Tig on plain old steel too. I think you will find that stuff to be quite useful in the old bag-o-tricks.

Last edited:
I too would TIG braze with aluminium bronze. I had to repair a cracked casting on my old bandsaw. As NC Rick mentions, grind a V to let you get the filler into the join and of course very clean surfaces before welding. The pin idea might be worth a try too. I hadn’t brazed cast iron before this so I did run a practice first on some old scrap. I was not nearly as difficult as I was expecting. Check out Adam’s video
for plenty of sensible guidance.

I too would TIG braze with aluminium bronze. I had to repair a cracked casting on my old bandsaw. As NC Rick mentions, grind a V to let you get the filler into the join and of course very clean surfaces before welding. The pin idea might be worth a try too. I hadn’t brazed cast iron before this so I did run a practice first on some old scrap. I was not nearly as difficult as I was expecting. Check out Adam’s video
for plenty of sensible guidance.
I just started watching that :D

FWIW, brazing won't do you any harm, and when it breaks again you can replace it with a fabricated steel one.

On my 12X37 lathe I had a yoke for the change gears that broke. It was brazed by a welder well versed in cast iron repair, it lasted a week. I made a new one in soft steel, and it has worked for almost 40 years. If you do braze it, remember it has to be heated to at least 300F.

Are the oxyacetylene rods different from TIG rods?

Yes, very much so. The 'standard' rods contain some zinc, which explodes in a puffy little ball of crazy when heated with the TIG arc. Silicon bronze rods specifically marked for TIG are what you want for this application.

It cracked for a reason. You might ask what stresses were applied that caused it to fail. It is always wise to address the underlying cause before a repair is done on a crack. Otherwise, the repaired item will face the same forces.

Back