BROWN & SHARPE UNIVERSAL DIVIDING HEAD

Maybe thumbnails will do better. If not, PM me.

MILO asked, "What size gears are used on the short feed attachment?"

As you said, the mount diameter is different for the 1 - 24 tooth idler gear. All others use the same inside (mount) diameter. 3rd pic is of the 10 gears available to effect whatever ratio / division / advancement that may be desired. This 4th pic might answer your question.

104 1 DIFFERENTIAL INDEXING CENTER.jpg

DOG 00.jpg

01.jpg

208.jpg

Hoping to keep progress going on this restoration. I ordered up a set of mini end mills to put the slot size right for the pin in pic 1. Also, in the same pic is 1 of 2 screws needed for the slide adjuster. I have to make another since there should be 2. In the next pic, there is what appears to be a bit of mangled up allen wrench for a pin. Does anyone have a clear pic of what this should look like?

View attachment 234953
View attachment 234954

Started to tear down my indexer today. Got to the above stage. Found that my pin and grub screw are two separate parts as opposed to the one-piece one shown above...thought maybe mine was broke in two but upon inspection they appear to be OEM. The part that was broken was the pin that actually engages the back of the index plate. As I stated earlier everything on mine was very stiff with fresh grease oozing from everywhere when I assumed ownership. I believe the PO forced the indexer to turn without disengaging the above stop during his attempt to free everything up. My suspicions were confirmed when I inspected the attached index plate with a paper clip and found the remainder of the small pin engaged in one of the outer holes. I am not sure how I am going to approach fixing this. I assume the pin was press fitted into the “ plunger” and am not sure if it was hardened or not.

MILO

A piece of drill rod will do. You'll know pretty quick how hard the broken piece is when you try to mill it out. Keep us updated MILO!

I've been whittling out a center for indexing as per the above drawing. What with 12hr days on the job it is progressing slowly.

Had a pretty good start on making differential indexing & plain centers all out of 1 bar. I've managed to burn up my lathe motor though. Short setback - I hope.

20181220_015425234.jpg

The collar & nut that are used on the back are also measures & drawings provided by Mr John York!

B&S spindle 009.JPG

Had a pretty good start on making differential indexing & plain centers all out of 1 bar. I've managed to burn up my lathe motor though. Short setback - I hope.

View attachment 282879

The collar & nut that are used on the back are also measures & drawings provided by Mr John York!

View attachment 282880

How are you putting in the taper? Offset of the tail stock or does your lathe have a taper attachment.
Looks good.

MILO

MILO my plan with only 3" of compound slide is to do the taper in 2 parts. With such a slight angle, the offset tailstock is a viable option - just better suited to using a lathe dog that I don't have.

Checking to see if you made any more progress on the index center. I haven’t done much lately on my indexer as other more pressing projects have come up. I just missed acquiring the #5 involuted gear cutter I need to produce the one 24 tooth gear that I am missing. Someone outbid me. None of the other sized cutters seemed to be of interest as they had no bids...go figure.

MILO

Likely, I may have the spare cutter that you need. I have most of two sets of cutters from 40 DP to 3 DP, they came off Navy repair ships that the shop where I worked scrapped out after WW-2.

Hey MILO John is great to do business with! Thanks for asking about my progress. I too have had a more pressing project come along. The bar I began making the index center out of is still chucked up in my lathe - but the lathe is awaiting parts to get it back up & running. Hope to get back on it in a week.

Thanks Guys. Believe it or not after I posted on here I checked out the auction site and was able to pick up a high quality NOS North American made cutter (#5 14 DP) . I didn’t get if for the 5 or $10 I was hoping for but it still was a good deal as compared to a new equivalent. I know there are new imports but from what I have read quality can be all over the board and I have been down that road before.
After I get done with a couple of Craftsman/Delta circa 1930s table saws I hope to tackle the indexer but if Spring gets here first it may get put on the back burner once again.

MILO

Back