BROWN & SHARPE UNIVERSAL DIVIDING HEAD

Welcome Kirk! What parts are you planning to have cast? I may have a tag-a-long to add. Look forward to your pics.
John is the best.
Hello,
I would like to get two of the outboard arbor support arms made as well as the brace that holds them. I have sent various other parts to Cattail foundry to be casted and have been happy so far with them. I’ll try to get some pics of my machine and accessories soon. I have a new shop going up and my B&S gear is spread far and wide.

Kirk

A few pics of the B&S -2 I just picked up. Came with a dead center but it was a Morse #4...I believe it uses a BS 10 taper?? I was hoping the spindle was threaded as a 2 1/4” 8 TPI as found in some of the B&S literature because I have a few chucks for my Sheldon lathe that use this thread. But upon further inspection it appears to be the odd duck 2 1/4” 4 1/2 TPI. Have to run for now as I have some wood burning stove repairs to attend to.

MILOimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Yes, the spindle taper would be B&S10, and 2 1/4" - 4 1/2 TPI is a standard USS (coarse) thread.

Looks like you have the compound gear bracket Kirk! Seeing as we both need the Differential Indexing Center (as well as the regular dead center), that is the part we will detail next. I've all ready chucked up a bar in the lathe & begun roughing it to size + the schematic is progressing nicely!

Looking foreword to the lathe work and schematic. I have a lead on BS10 dead center but have been keeping my eye out for a suitable tail stock. At some point I’ll be doing a complete tear down. All the movements work as they should but are stiff..probably because of old grease. The indexer shows nearly no signs of damage or abuse as all the set screw heads, adjustment knobs, etc are free from dings or marks.

MILO

About a year ago John York sent me drawings of the parts needed to make the B&S no2 Dividing Head complete. With his permission I am taking his info & putting into a digital format for all to reference. Here is the 1st installment.

104 1 DIFFERENTIAL INDEXING CENTER.jpg

As a draftsman, I had all the numbers in decimal format, but John reminded me that much of this is simply mark it with a ruler & go. What matters here is that the taper fits your dividing head. The dog drive should be snug & the collar & nut allow the back gears to line up for differential indexing. Next, we will do the dog drive, collar & nut.

Awesome. I found some drawings of the above parts on another site but wasn’t able to get clear enough images to make out all the dimensions.
I have been looking through the gears I have and I am in possession of all except the 2nd 24tooth, (the regular one as opposed to the “special” one that fits the compound bracket). Also have a few doubles of the other gears. From what I can see the gears have 14DP with 14.5 pressure angle. Don’t seem to be any off the shelf 14 DP gears but the the correct cutters are available.

MILO

Last edited:
I have an extra 48 but need a 56. You are correct on the pitch & angle. Just got a set of the gear cutters from China, but have to modify an arbor before I can try them out. Gonna finish up on the center first.

The Drive Dog Plate.

This fits on either the plain center or differential indexing center. If making either part, finish it out to a snug fit that does not rock to the side. Again all info & pics supplied by John York!

DOG 00.jpg

Nice information. Is there anyway to blow up the drawing to be able to see the dimensions better? I also have an extra 48 t gear. I checked but only one 56...if I had an extra I could have saved you some work. Any ideas of what size gears are used on the short feed attachment?

Thanks,
MILO

Last edited:
Back