Building a 10mm

Keep the firing pin stop plate square on the bottom til you shoot it. Then radius as needed.

Of course. This isn't my first rodeo. Or even my second. ;)

Finally got a break from the recent heatwave, and managed to get a bit more done on this build. Machining the slide for the Trijicon RMR mount/co-witness sights is pretty straight forward. Many who machine slides for this mount simply machine it flat, but I don't care for the looks of that. Hand filing the radius' on the 'ears' at the back of the slide is a very tedious job, which may be why some won't do it.

My hands are going to be stiff in the morning...

IMG_0574.jpeg

More progress. I drilled the four holes for the mount screws to a depth of 0.150" and used a bottoming tap to get the threads as close to the bottom of the holes as possible. 6-40...ugh. But at least they aren't 4-40. ;)

IMG_0576.jpeg

In doing a trial fit of the mount and RMR I discovered that the RMR hangs over the front of the mount and wouldn't install on the mount until I moved that front lip a bit. I had a nice pinch fit of the mount between the front lip and the ears in the back to take stresses off the mounting screws. So much for trying to do things the right way... :bang head:

IMG_0577.jpeg

The hand filed ears at the back didn't come out perfect, but they turned out pretty good.

IMG_0578.jpeg

Now I need to figure out what to do with the slide. The frame is stainless, but the slide is carbon. I don't have the resources to blue it myself, other than to slap some cold blue on it. Or I can send it out somewhere. I'll figure it out. Once the slide is taken care of, I'm down to finishing all the detail stuff. I'm getting there! :)

Cera Kote, don't tell the wife where the toaster oven went

I don't know how durable that stuff is, but I actually thought about that. Problem is, if the wife did find out, she'd likely shoot me with her new 9mm I got her for her birthday! :oops:

I tried to get that multi-colored look on my cold blue attempt. It's a bit too dark IMO, and it looks a lot better in person than in this iphone pic. But whatever...it's blue/black.

The pistol is ready for some range time. I've already noticed a few things I want to change, and I haven't even shot it yet. I'm hopeless...

There is still a bit of a hard fit, but I figure a hundred or so rounds through it should settle everything in. Can't wait to see how this smaller dot on the gen 2 RMR works. Should be great. After the break-in, I have a 40 S&W barrel to fit to this pistol. While my wife was fondl...err...handling the pistol I mentioned that I was going to be fitting a 40 barrel to this pistol and her eyes lit up. Uh-oh...

IMG_0582.jpeg

Preferred is hard chrome, 0.00005", aerospace plater (spendy). Typically used on crankshaft journals. Avoid bumper chrome shops.
Back off the powder charge, take a look here for starters: https://forums.brianenos.com/forum/73-10mm40-caliber/

Just finished vertical serrations on my nephew's project, 0.150 HS 4 flute @ 0.020 DOC. Working on 17deg slide holding fixture,

re post #38: Are you grousing about the ejector/slide gap?

A friend on the 1911addicts forum told me about melonite last night. Not a too spendy hard coating that will show a polished surface. :)

Yea, I screwed up that upper cut on the ejector. I wanted a fully flush fit, but had a brain spasm on that upper cut I guess. Functional, but it's noticable. I have another ejector and will fix that eventually.

Back