Building a Pulse EDM machine

EDM machines can be dangerous. You keep your hands and every other part of your body away from the gap circuit when it is running. 100VDC at 10 amps is nothing to fool with. ( bet it would mess up my pacemaker). The arc is submerged in a dielectric fluid when running. I will use kerosene for the dielectric fluid.

Last edited by a moderator:
FullSizeRender - Copy (2).jpg
The above photo is the servo ram. the control runs the gear motor and moves the slide up or down. Next I will be installing limit switches and depth stop setup on the ram.
FullSizeRender.jpg
The control has passed all the electrical tests an runs the servo. Once the ram is finished I will make the work tank.

Mark
All I can say is WOW! Such an amazing build and you are nearing the finished EDM.
Very nice.
Be well my friend
Nelson

Mark
All I can say is WOW! Such an amazing build and you are nearing the finished EDM.
Very nice.
Be well my friend
Nelson
Thank you .......Welllll ........ the control is finished, but now I have to build the machine. There will be an X and Y axis to move the work tank, the work tank needs built, the dielectric storage tank needs built , the ram axis needs built, and a few other parts. So, there is a ways to go yet, but it is moving along nicely.

I need an oil filter for the dielectric fluid, but the price of one of those remote spin on filters is absolutely outrages. So..... in usual fashion, I made one for free. I dug through my junk box and found a block of aluminum just the right size.
Oil filter.jpg Oil filter2.jpg
With about an hour machining and drilling, I have a first class filter. I bought a spin on oil filter at Walmart that would fit the block for $2.74. I made a threaded pipe fom steel to fit the filter and tapped the aluminum block for the pipe which was secured with Loc-tite retaining compound. A recess is machined where the top of the filter sits. A 7/16" hole drilled up and a cross hole from the side to meet it. Another hole drilled from the other side to meet the center hole. both holes are tapped for 1/4"-18 NPT pipe threads, and I have an oil filter. This filter will mount in the end of the work tank to supply filtered dielectric fluid for flushing the cut.

Professor Mark, I have one of those old filter cans that takes a roll of toilet paper. I bet you remember when they came out and the rhubarb it caused. I just thought it would work on this set up if I make one . I'm a watching with great anticipation , lots of things can be done with edm.

Those TP filters are very low flow as they connected to the oil pressure sender port and fed into the pan if we recall...

Primary design wss to super filter some oil all the time so it gets it all over time.

Could work here if the pressure was such that some flow could pass through it but the TP would need to tolerate the solvent

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Professor Mark, I have one of those old filter cans that takes a roll of toilet paper. I bet you remember when they came out and the rhubarb it caused. I just thought it would work on this set up if I make one . I'm a watching with great anticipation , lots of things can be done with edm.
LMAO ........ I haven't thought about one of those for about 50 years. I doubt it would work very well because the flow rate would most likely be too low, I believe.

That is the main reason I chose to build a good system. There is a lot you can do with EDM. I could have built a tap burner for 50 bucks, but it would not be as versatile as a decent system. I did a good bit of research before deciding what to build. The system by Ben Fleming looked the best and it is fairly easy to build.

I remember when those came out back in the early 70's. Was working as a heavy truck mechanic at the time, the reviews were pretty negative as I remember. Then I was actually working for the company that made those up until a few months ago when they closed the doors. They quit building those filters years ago, but kept going as a contract stamping shop until about October of last year.

I STILL HAVE A FULLERS EARTH OIL FILTER, HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE EVER PACKED A FILTER FULL OF DIRT BEFORE INSTALLING IT?

Back