Building Jaguars in the 60's

I have rebuilt several of those XK engines; the heads are a bit tricky -----

Had a friend that bought a new XKE V12. He didn't get to drive it much, It was always in the shop being worked on.

My father had a couple XKEs.... Wonderfully unreliable and reliably wonderful. Maybe the best sounding motor ever. Those cars taught me a whole lot about trouble-shooting electrical circuits.

There's a documentary on netflix "inside jaguar" showing modern XKE creations for the uber wealthy. IF you have enough coin and connections, Jaguar will still hand build you a new one......

I had a '67 E type, after I overhauled everything (engine, trans, suspension) it was dependable, had little or no electrical issues, which the XJ6 had plenty of; one thing I discovered was that a lot of the problems were due to the "Lucar" connectors, which would age crack and exhibit poor conductivity, especially where wire harnesses joined under the car, where corrosion from moisture was a problem. Also, the Lucas rocker switches were a problem, they had used a lubricant grease that corroded the contacts, only good thing, they were able to be taken apart and cleaned up for a second life. A Jag is like a boat, very happy when you buy it, equally happy when you sell it!

One of the only cars worth more with a small block chevy! If they build airplanes like they did the Jag, we would have lost the war.

They don't call Lucas "the prince of darkness" for nothing.

Ya know why the Brits drink warm beer?

Lucas refrigerators...

Brought a smile to my face. While my experience with British transportation is limited to 2 MG Midgets and 2 Norton motorcycles, I still remember the saying of “Joe Lucas, the Prince Of Darkness.”

There is a company in Pleasant Hill CA called Jags That Run. They made there name for making swap kits to put small block Chevy's in them. Hence the name, "Jags That Run". Pretty much in the hot rod community that saying is, If you want to make it run put a Chevy in it. I do transmission mods and they are all for GM transmission.

I love watching these race street race shows with LS Chevy engines in Mustangs. It is hard to beat an LS engine. They are plentiful and cheap. I have an LS2 in my Trailblazer SS and it's rated at 430 HP from the factory. It's about 50 more now that I've gotten a hold of it.

There is a company in Pleasant Hill CA called Jags That Run. They made there name for making swap kits to put small block Chevy's in them. Hence the name, "Jags That Run". Pretty much in the hot rod community that saying is, If you want to make it run put a Chevy in it. I do transmission mods and they are all for GM transmission.

I love watching these race street race shows with LS Chevy engines in Mustangs. It is hard to beat an LS engine. They are plentiful and cheap. I have an LS2 in my Trailblazer SS and it's rated at 430 HP from the factory. It's about 50 more now that I've gotten a hold of it.

Still does not get the respect, oh's, and ah's of a Hemi...just sayn, 50 chebby's at a car show and 2gen 2 Hemis, the Hemi's will always have a crowd, this applies to a SOHC 427 and a Boss 429, chevy never did anything special except for aluminum...

Last edited:
Back