Building Jaguars in the 60's

Cool video! I remember doing many of the same steps in my engine builds. I would not mind one of those cars but would remove the poor wiring systems.

Not too many hobbyists can afford a properly built SOHC 427! Typical cost more than the car!
Pierre

Last edited:
As far as I am concerned, the early E type Jaguars are the quintessential sports car, perfectly beautiful and desirable in spite of it's flaws. I didn't have enough money for one at the time, and put a '66 MGB together from several hulks. Took a full year to do it, but it was handsome and reliable after that aside from the starter commutators (I had 2 spare starters), and I knew how to repair them properly and had my own armature lathe/undercutter. Prince of darkness for sure. However, on the good side, every part of the electrical system had copper wire grounds with black insulation, amazing for a car with 4 tubular fuses total. I was never left stranded by that car.

One of the only cars worth more with a small block chevy! If they build airplanes like they did the Jag, we would have lost the war.
I bought a Jag XJ-6 in 1986. The problems began surfacing 2 years later - mostly with Lucas electrical glitches.

But then, at 10K miles, the worst of worst happened -- "the steel tappet guides in the aluminum head came loose and crashed around inside the engine with disastrous results." This was a known problem with 1974 - 1986 in-line 6 Jag 4.2 engines. Those of you who have rebuilt the heads will recognize this problem.

My choices: (1) get rid of the car as junk; (2) spend $4000 to have the head rebuilt; or (3) replace the drivetrain and continue to permamently fix the Lucas problems as they come up.

After the car sat for almost 30 years, I chose the last option. Bought a $1500 1994 Buick Roadmaster and transplanted its LT-1/4L60E into the Jag. Happy with the results, but still dealing with the "prince of darkness."

The low mileage Jag

The destroyed 4.2

The donor, RIP

The Transplant

Attachments

• JL-0.png
    JL-0.png
    225.9 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0024.JPG
    DSC_0024.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 3
  • LT1-XJ6.jpg
    LT1-XJ6.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I've owned and actually driven '61 3.8 MK II and '66 4.2 Mk X sedans when I was much younger.
The MK X had the three SU HD8 carbs like the XKE I never quite could afford to buy.
Eventually ditched the British stuff and went French via six assorted Renault and Citroen autos.
The '83 Renault Fuego Turbo was actually my most satisfying 150000-mile car ever. It had it's Jaguar/Lucas-esque quirks but parts were plentiful and cheap. The Jaguar MK II is a very desirable sedan these days.

bill70j

You did a beautiful job on the transplant. The LT1 looks like it was born there.

I went to a local car show, there was a ratio of 50 chevy's and about 10 fords for every mopar ... no 409's, no SOCH or Boss 429's, no hemi cars except for a few street rods and coupes. But there was 8 Austin Healy's and 12 jags in a field of about 750 cars. I was able to have a nice conversation with Trixie from Rat Fink. It was still fun. I got to see Survivor and Loverboy. Loverboy put on a great concert. Survivor didnt have enough music that I was familiar, eye of the tiger was is. The lead singer of Loverboy just kept the audience going and played top song after top song. It was a good night. Tim

I've owned and actually driven '61 3.8 MK II and '66 4.2 Mk X sedans when I was much younger.
The MK X had the three SU HD8 carbs like the XKE I never quite could afford to buy.
Eventually ditched the British stuff and went French via six assorted Renault and Citroen autos.
The '83 Renault Fuego Turbo was actually my most satisfying 150000-mile car ever. It had it's Jaguar/Lucas-esque quirks but parts were plentiful and cheap. The Jaguar MK II is a very desirable sedan these days.
I always wanted to get a C2V Citroen, wicker seats and all. Amazing engine sounds. If you got lost you could always follow the cloud of oil smoke back.

Always loved the 2CV as well.
Corrugated steel sides and huge sardine-can roll-up sunroof...

The Traction Avant is another great model.
The Citroen logo represented the herringbone gears Andre Citroen pioneered.

Back