Building my last shop

Quick! Add radiant floor heating before you pour.
40x60'? I'd give that a try fer sure.
Nobody wants to work anymore - what's with that?
The one exception to that is the neighbor had a BA horse barn put up a few years ago and I gotta say that the crew from AL was top notch.
They did not messed around and hauled arse.
The only hiccup was the area where he put it. Looks like it was part of an long gone smallish lake.
The Lull sank down to it's front axle. Took a bit to get it out. Had to bring in a few tons of 3/4" gravel to stiffen the area up.

Unfortunately no money for radiant flooring. Project is way over budget as it is. Wood stove and kerosene will be the heat sources.
Actually the erection crew I ended up hiring is out of Tennessee. They drive from home everyday. Its a family operation. They don't work very fast but they are reliable and experienced.

Unfortunately no money for radiant flooring. Project is way over budget as it is. Wood stove and kerosene will be the heat sources.
Actually the erection crew I ended up hiring is out of Tennessee. They drive from home everyday. Its a family operation. They don't work very fast but they are reliable and experienced.
*DRAT* Dang budgets! Always getting in the way.
That is my dream - to have radiant floor heating. In the bathrooms as well as in a shop.

Nice build so far!

I only exist in a 730 sqft shop but it is nice and cozy as I did put in the Radiant floor - even if you just ran the tubes for now and took on the heat source etc later you are still killed in the budget? I just did my neighbors 3 shops (about 2250 sqft total). Tubing runs about $230 US (x3) and an 8 branch manifold is $220 US....not sure what you are doing with the floor (wire mesh/insulate) but you could probably get the tubes in the floor for a grand plus time?

I know.....the cash flow......You will still have quite the enviable work space ......40 x 60 ....WOW!

Thanks Brent. Yeah I have to pinch pennies were I can so no radiant heat floor. Just got the electrician's estimate. It's about 3 grand more than I thought. Even with me working as his helper to save some bucks. o_O

Forgot to mention. Guy from the power company was supposed to stop by today but the snow storm nixed that. Not sure what it is going to cost me to hook up power to the building.

Thanks Brent. Yeah I have to pinch pennies were I can so no radiant heat floor. Just got the electrician's estimate. It's about 3 grand more than I thought. Even with me working as his helper to save some bucks. o_O
[Something] + $3K?!
Goodness. What all are you putting in? Is it all conduit?
And is that the third quote from somebody?

Putting in a 400 amp service. Everything in conduit. There will be some long runs of heavy gauge wire. Lots of outlets and plenty of lights since I don't have any windows or skylights.

400A for the shop and I'm assuming 200A for the house (unless of course the house is already done...)
Let us know how much the utility is going to hit you up for.

Last edited:
I am just curious why you would want 400 amp service. Seems to me you would likely run one tool at a time? Under what circumstances would you use close to 200 amps?

Robert

Back