Buying a lathe, what tooling should I get/avoid?

Well, I have some HSS and inserted carbide coming. I plan to try both. Knowing me, I'll end up with quite the collection of random tools over time. The lathe comes with a QCTP, but I did see a couple people mention it also including the 4-way toolpost. I might try it too, but the QCTP sounds more like how I do things.

Hopefully the poor guy swimming the lathe over from China gets here soon, I want to make some chips. :)

When you start to miss not getting a package in the mail at least once a week you'll know you're a goner- down the tooling rabbit hole!
Mark

I bought the PM 1/8 to 5/8 ultra precision drill chuck for $129 last week and so far so good. But, I haven't used it much yet. First impressions are positive. The PM master kits give a good bang for the buck. I ordered the lathe with the tool holder set up pre-installed, works for me, I'm an insert tool newbie. No complaints on the Precision Matthews tooling. My lathe came with a live center, haven't tried it yet.

I got most of my measuring tools and drill bits off eBay. I picked up American made short machinist drill bits of good quality via auction, just gotta watch for the good deals. I was disappointed in the Shars 8" level I bought recently new, its was defective and would not calibrate. So I had to send it back. Its my first purchase from Shars, I'll see how they handle the return. I have some larger levels of good quality anyway. Most of my tools are Sterrett or Brown & Sharpe, all vintage. So far I like the older stuff best.

Just think about the projects you want to tackle and buy what you need as you go along. I'm mostly turning and facing drill rods right now, but I'll be needing more tooling soon. The drill chuck is my latest addition.

My lathe comes with an AXA QTCP. I'm thinking about getting some extra holders. There are 2 types, one with a "V" groove in the bottom to be able to hold round tools. Those seem more versatile, but I'm concerned they might be a compromise that's not as good for either. Has anyone used them?

I have both. I rarely need the V groove. I think one tool holder with a V groove would be adequate, but I always need more tool holders for holding square cutters. I have four and that is not enough.

I'm with Jon - get the non-grooved ones.

I have exactly 1 grooved AXA. Allm the rest are nongrooved. Boring bars are best held in the square pinching type that gets tightened by the set screws. I have the one grooved one for an emergency where I don't have the prefect sized boring bar holder...

Sounds like the consensus is to stick with the flat kind. I get one grooved one with the lathe, so I'll stick with square for extras for now. Thanks for the reality check!

Above all else you will need a decent dial indicator and magnetic base to hold the work properly in your chuck. plus a set of micrometers to accurately measure diameter of your work. Maybe 0-1", 1-2", and 2-3" to start

+1 for sure!

Back